Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna give as much info as possible, 1991 kawasaki ninja ex500a i believe, its the model with only one pick up coil. Ive been all over the bike, when i got it someone had of coarse cut the ignition wires and tried to hotwire it. I ordered a key switch got it and put it on, cranked the bike over and couldnt get spark, so i tested the coils by grounding to the frame and got good spark, i then looked for week ground but got nothing, so i checked the pickup coil, res passed and acv as well, so i traced the wire to the ic ignitor made sure it was going to it, Check, onto making sure the ic is powered, so i checked the grey wire 12v i then remembered an old wise tail of a 100 ohm resistor in the key switch, But i purchased a used switch for the same year model bike, so i figured it must be fine, but im unsure of which wire should only be 6v not 12v if any on this bike, I also have purchased a brand new ic ignitor with no avail to make sure it wasnt burnt out from the hotwire job on the key switch, im getting good voltage, new battery, new plugs, changed the wires and the bits inside the coil that keep the wire inside of the coil, I have 12v at the ic ignitor, i changed all fuses, cleaned all conectors, not getting ground out of the ic ignitor, wired the kickstand sensor together, tried unplugging and re hooking the oil sensor, with no change either way, did the same thing with the nuetral sensor but the bike wouldnt crank with it unplugged, I know my coils are good, they are getting 12v just not getting a ground from the ic ignitor.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
hi. there is something very wrong here. nothing you wrote adds up. if it is as you say it looks like a bodge job done at some point. lets get some facts and then work from there.
if the bike is indeed a 1991 EX A model is a gen 1. the gen 1 has two pickup's not one. there is no grey wire on the ignition. so it doesn't need a resistor these are all features of the later gen 2 model. how long have you had the bike what is it's history. look at the IC igniter has it got one single plug or two. we need to know this before starting to diagnose the issues. all the problems you describe would apply to a gen 2 only but these are bikes 94 on ( to 2008) not a gen 1.
I may have the answer but need this info first. by the way no wires on the bike are 6V that is impossible as it has a 12v battery negative ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response! It has 1 pick up coil in the engine case, 2 plug cdi box, i just got the bike a week or two ago, ive read that some came with a resistor in the key switch to down the voltage from 12v to 9 or something as anti-theft, i have since removed the stock key switch and their is a resistor, so i wired it all back together stock and still no go, i think the resistor in the key switch is no good, gonna test it now and will reply

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
so in that case the bike cannot be a 1991 gen 1 it has to be a gen 2. got any pictures of it !!. first thing you will have to do is find out if it is a clone (a gen 2 with gen 1 papers) or if it's a gen 1 but some previous owner had the old exploding magnets but instead of modifying it to run gen 1 changed all the electrics to gen 2. if that is the case you will have to go over what you disconnected or altered and put it all back cos on the gen 2 if any of the lockout switches are disconnected it will not start. if anything is not wired correctly it will not start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.