Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright everyone i purchased a Kawasaki ex 500 of a friend that he was rebuilding hes sorted everything out mechanically but when it comes to starting it has no spark at all i've had a look at purchasing a new starter motor and cdi to see if that will sort the problem but i haven't a clue what year it is. ill drag it out the shed tomorrow when i finish work i'm just asking if anybody has any idea what could be the problem i also had to buy a new ignition barrel and think i purchased the wrong one as the barrel has a yellow wire spare and all the others match. any help will be helpful. kind regards

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
the year can be found can on the tag near the steering head.
Start the spark search with a renewal of all the electrical connections and good battery.

FOG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks i'll check it I have done mate the electric start works but it wont run I've got new spark plugs but there's still nothing

·
Registered
715 Posts
find out if it is a gen 1 or a gen 2 you may have already answered yourself. if you have a gen 2 and fitted a after market gen 1 ignition barrel (most are) you will be missing the anti tamper diode in the switch. this is a device that detects if the bike is being hot wired and immobilises the power to the CDI so it will not go.

·
Registered
715 Posts
hi. I have just checked the connectors from the switch on both the gen 1 and gen 2 they are identical on colour and position to the one in the link. so it could be the right one or not you may have to pop the bottom plastic plate off the switch to see if it has the 100ohm resister fitted gen 2's do gen 1's don't ironically a gen2 switch works on both as the gen one doesn't have a sensing wire. it may not be your issue but worth checking so many have done this including my self.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the first one om my bike pal. first thing I've done is ordered the correct ignition barrel it was bit pricey if i get nothing from that ill move onto changing the cdi and starter motor.

·
Registered
715 Posts
if your any good at electricals you can modify the other one it needs a 100oms resistor soldering between the point at which the the grey and the brown are soldered onto the btm of the switch not sure which way round it goes (a long time since I did mine) but I can find out.

·
Banned
4,959 Posts
You really need to know what your model/year is. I take it from your original post you do not have the V5 nor a registration number.

Take your frame number from the R/H side of the headstock, and, as you are in the UK go to the GPZ Zone website. Go to the model identification page and see where your frame number fits in. That will give you the information you need to determine which is the correct ignition switch for your bike.

The switch for the ER may or may not work. They do look the same so there is a chance.

If you end up going down the solder a resistor in route, you can solder it either way round, resistors are bi- directional and will conduct or resist current in either direction.

Hope this helps,

John.

Wbba.

·
Registered
715 Posts
yea any help will be great mate
HI Dan. I spent some time last night going through the notes and photos of the gen 2 cruiser build no photos I'm afraid. but FYI as I was using a ER500 tank and seat lock I bought a full lock set off the Er5 including the ignition switch.
this set did not have the resistor in it and is the reason I had to fit one. it goes between the grey and brown terminals in the btm of the switch. the resistor can be fitted either way round. I must have got confused it was a long while ago I did a hell of a lot of rewiring on that bike including several Diodes which have to fitted a certain way round. anyway I also found an old picture from this very forum showing the position of that resistor. hope this helps.

·
Banned
4,959 Posts
Thats a pic I've not seen for a while, LOL.
From JC's thread when he was sorting out his bastardised wiring,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have the same problem LOL the bike was stolen recovered it bought it from motorhog a bidding site in Doncaster for £100 i see it as an easy project as on my days of from work but it causing me a headache with the wiring the bike is mechanically sound it just wont turn over because of the wiring. I can put the white and brown together and the electronics work but other than that it wont spark.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thats a pic I've not seen for a while, LOL.
From JC's thread when he was sorting out his bastardised wiring,
yeah it is. great having old threads to research from. wish more members did it. whatever the issue someone somewhere has had it and solved it .

·
Registered
715 Posts
i have the same problem LOL the bike was stolen recovered it bought it from motorhog a bidding site in Doncaster for £100 i see it as an easy project as on my days of from work but it causing me a headache with the wiring the bike is mechanically sound it just wont turn over because of the wiring. I can put the white and brown together and the electronics work but other than that it wont spark.
AH that makes things a lot clearer. what part of the wiring is damaged just the switch or has it been completely hacked. the gen 2 is a bit of an animal where electrics are concerned. the whole system was reconfigured. the gen 1 none ignition bits do fit as a whole but have to be re pinned to get the circuits right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AH that makes things a lot clearer. what part of the wiring is damaged just the switch or has it been completely hacked. the gen 2 is a bit of an animal where electrics are concerned. the whole system was reconfigured. the gen 1 none ignition bits do fit as a whole but have to be re pinned to get the circuits right.
it has been completely cut all wires are bare (white,brown,blue,red,grey)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts