Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 07 that I rode around most of last year until november. I was pulling into a parking space in 1st only using the clutch. The! BOOM like a shotgun went off. The bike ran very poorly after this and a air scaping sound could be heard from the head block. After shutting off the bike it wouldn't start again. So I went and took the head to a shop and got it resurfaced as well as the valves cleaned, the whole deal. I bought a haynes manual and put everything back according to the manual. Proper torque and tdc. I also had to replace the coils. I then bought a new battery and put everything back together. New oil, new coolant, sparkplugs, and a PAIR eleminator. When I press the starg button, the starter runs but nothing else. It doesnt crank. I noticed fuel was coming out of the hose that connects to the black plastic part of the carbs. I took the carbs out and fuel came out of them from everywhere so it means they are pulling fuel from the tank. What should I do? Im thinking of getting some starting fluid since the engine is completely dry after being rebuilt.

·
Registered
959 Posts
if the starter is turning but the engine is not cranking do you have the battery the wrong way round it would make the starter run backwards. so not crank

·
Registered
19,364 Posts
or the starter clutch could be slipping. but you shouldn't have any fuel with out vacuum to open the petcock.
What caused the Boom, head gaskets don't boom. I think you have missed something major. when setting the cams did everything turn smoothly ?
many more questions than answers
FOG

Reactions: akfred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the starter is turning but the engine is not cranking do you have the battery the wrong way round it would make the starter run backwards. so not crank
Yea I made sure to check the polarity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or the starter clutch could be slipping. but you shouldn't have any fuel with out vacuum to open the petcock.
What caused the Boom, head gaskets don't boom. I think you have missed something major. when setting the cams did everything turn smoothly ?
many more questions than answers
FOG
Yea, cams turn smoothly without applying much force. Had a friend check the piston rings and he said they were good. I forgot to take note of were the coil wires plugged in when taking them out but I read in another thread that polarity for the coils isnt important as a spark will happen either way?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The coils will work ok whichever way they are plugged in.
When you say it doesn't crank, do you mean it won't fire up? Or the starter motor is spinning but not turning the engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure if its spinning the engine or not. Would you be able to hear it? All I can hear is the starter motor spinning

·
Registered
117 Posts
If it's just the starter motor spinning it will sound like a constant whirr.
If the engine is turning and not firing it will be more of a chug chug sound, you will hear the starter motor as well but you should be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so I just checked and the engine is turning, chug chug and everything. During one attempt, detonation happened in one cylinder. Like it wanted to start but didnt. Now Im thinking it might not not be getting spark. I bought aftermarket coils so Im thinking there is a chance they might be defective

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When putting it in first, power is there as it jumps forward. I dont want to keep trying and flood the chamber with gas if thats a thing. Like if gas is getting to the chamber and not getting lit up

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check sparks by removing spark plugs. Plug them back into the spark plug caps. Make sure the threaded part of the spark plug is resting on the cylinder head. Ignition on, press starter button. You should see them spark.

I doubt your coils are not working. I suspect something more like carb problems / fuel supply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, Ill try that tomorrow. Lets say the spark plugs are working fine. Do you think some starting fluid would work at getting everything started? Everything is dry rn and I know the fuel works with a vacuum created when the engine is running so maybe some starting fluid will get everything going

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I tested spark today like you said. Nothing. I tested the coil connections with a multimeter and got around 2.6 ohms. Also tested the leads for the coils and they sat at 124 mV?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts