Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really gear, nor apparel but something I've added to my 'gear' in the form of a compact jump start pack that fits in a tank bag.

Not really a review other than an 'unboxing' one.

Back story: A year ago we went to Monterey for WSBK weekend. After getting there, we were on our way to the track when my Aprilia's battery decided it had enough and refused to start the bike.

Now, jump starting the Aprilia is not something so easily done. The riders seat has to come off to access the battery. I've attempted to make this easier by installing some posts that use hair pin retainers to secure the seat.

This makes seat removal far easier than trying to peel the corner back and unthread a pair 1.5" long allen screws. You do still have to peel the seat corners back, but now you can just pull out 2 pins and lift off the seat.

Once jump started, putting those pins back in is a royal PITA. So, in order to kill two birds in a single purchase, I ordered the NOCO jump start pack and a set of insulated terminals to bolt in under the passenger seat/speed hump.

Both arrived today. The NOCO Boost Sport is "compact" but not anywhere near as compact as the Anti-Gravity micro jump start pack. The Anti-Gravity one is about the size of an iPhone 5. The NOCO....not so much.

It's about the size of well.......a large sunglasses case. Same length and thickness but around half again as wide. Not super small but NOCO claims it will start up to a 4L V8. Perfect for big V-twins which is why I went with it, over the Anti-Gravity.

AG states in their literature for all their smaller compact jump packs to go with a larger model if you own a Harley. Well.....I don't but an Italian V-twin is just as hard to start. The larger model from AG runs something like $160 on Amazon and coupled with some not so great reviews, I went with NOCO. For under $100.

It had/has fewer bad reviews, the most negative being that it took quite long to charge. Well.....that was kinda the same being said for the AG so no difference. The NOCO did not have any reviews stating that it went bad after a year, or refused to work again after a few jump starts.

I'm charging it now and since I started typing, it's gone from one bar to 2 bars showing (out of 4) on the charge meter. Seems relatively rapid to me. It isn't like it took me long to type this much.

The terminals are quite well made with stainless steel hardware. I'm going to install them somewhere in the cavity under the passenger seat.

I figure this way, when I need to jump it again, I'll not only have the jump pack handy, I'll also just be able to lift the seat and clip the leads onto the terminals instead of the whole dick dance with the riders seat.

I'll post pics tomorrow after I figure out how to install the terminals where they're accessible but not causing any issues. Also pics of the NOCO with something relatable to compare it to for size. More later.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I too purchased a power bank capable of starting cars and bikes. Primary reason was to carry with the 996 prior to my charging and starting wiring upgrades, when it was still having a hard time starting and the battery was nearly useless.

I originally looked at the AG units as well, but was not overly impressed with the reviews for the money they were asking. I bought the $59.99 Type S unit form Costco on a whim when shopping in the store one Saturday. I figured with their return policy I could easily get my money back if the unit was no good.

Tested it as soon as a I could on the 996, and it started it like a champ. Since then I have used it for real on next door's Ford Edge (3.5L V6), my Silverado (4.8L V8), and my wife's Enclave (3.6L V6). It cranked all of them as good as the actual car battery should have. It also easily starts my VFR and my sons's TTR230.

All in all, the price was great and the performance can be faulted (yet). More than a year later I am still happy with my purchase.

Ironically, I have not needed it for real on the 996....

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ironically, I have not needed it for real on the 996..
LoL......that’s the 996 for ya!..... Better to have and not
need than need and not have

So I took pics of the NOCO which was fully charged this morning. Also fabbed up new cables and installed the new terminals under the seat of the Aprilia this morning.

I think I’ll detail all that in another thread though. Meanwhile here are pics of the NOCO with a normal 12oz Coke can for reference:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts