Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,362 Posts
Parts is parts, what do you want to know?

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so this is whats up, its a 1962 norton atlas, with 20,000 miles on it. it has been sitting around for bout 12 years without running. Got around last summer to cleaning it up completely. it is a kick start....when i go to start the bike only one piston is firing. I have replaced the spark plug wires and spark plugs, as well as the brushes. It has a new batterie as well. I'm assuming it has something to do with the magneto. I have cleaned up the contact areas where the brushes touch the magneto, its very clean in there now. The magneto that is in there is the racing one, K2FC. when i check the plugs to see if im getting a spark, im only getting a spark out of one and not the other. any ideas of what might be causing this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Condenser? It was shorted out on one side and killed a cylinder on my 360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,362 Posts
I didn't read where you set the breaker points,.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fidopunk said:
Condenser? It was shorted out on one side and killed a cylinder on my 360.
theres no condenser on this bike...any other ideas? and i have replaced the points in the magneto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Is there a set of points for each plug?

The points have to have current. Maybe a wire got pinched or smashed or worn (abraided) & sufficient current is not getting through.

The plugs are both tested good, yes? Both spark when hooked to the good side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrSciTrek said:
Is there a set of points for each plug?

The points have to have current. Maybe a wire got pinched or smashed or worn (abraided) & sufficient current is not getting through.

The plugs are both tested good, yes? Both spark when hooked to the good side?
there is only one set of points. Both plugs spark when they are connected to the good side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
You know, another thing my 360 is notorious for is the points cover shorting out the points contacts... this may sound retarded, but have you tried running it without the points cover?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
fidopunk said:
You know, another thing my 360 is notorious for is the points cover shorting out the points contacts... this may sound retarded, but have you tried running it without the points cover?
Nevermind, if there's only one set of points and you're getting spark it's got to be a short somewhere in the line. Trace it out, you'll find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fidopunk said:
fidopunk said:
You know, another thing my 360 is notorious for is the points cover shorting out the points contacts... this may sound retarded, but have you tried running it without the points cover?
Nevermind, if there's only one set of points and you're getting spark it's got to be a short somewhere in the line. Trace it out, you'll find it.
in what line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im only getting a spark out of one point. I checked to see if the brushes are making good contact and they are, i even cleaned it up inside the magneto to where they make contact at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
If it's only got one set of points and no condenser, then somewhere down that line from points to plug there has to be a short because your other spark plug is getting spark.
Does it have the screw on style plug boots? Maybe you've got a bad connection there? Maybe the boot is just dirty. Check to make sure you've got an adequate amount of wire stripped and that the boot is on tight.
Does it have one coil or two coils? One of the coils could be bad-- it happens, just not often. Swap them. Try a car coil off an old Brit car if you've got one. I've used them of Triumphs and MG's.
The easiest but least technical way to troubleshoot a twin like this is one-at-a-time start switching components from the left to the right and see when your problem transfers.
Honestly, my 360 has had every problem known to man cause it to run on one cylinder. I swear to you, and this is a known problem for the 360, it's got a crummy pick up in the pet cock, and if it doesn't have enough fuel, it'll start running on one cylinder only-- I know it sounds retarded, but just check and see that it's got a full tank.
Also, the 360 will run on one cylinder if the battery doesn't have a full charge-- maybe the Norton is similar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Hunter4570 said:
im only getting a spark out of one point. I checked to see if the brushes are making good contact and they are, i even cleaned it up inside the magneto to where they make contact at.
So you have a set of points meaning one dedicated to the left and one dedicated to the right, correct? So the points get their spark from the magneto, there's no coils and there's no condenser, right?
Have you tried swapping points? Are you sure they're dressed? Occasionally, mine get pretty nasty and need the nits removed.
That's got to be the problem if you're only getting spark on one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fidopunk said:
If it's only got one set of points and no condenser, then somewhere down that line from points to plug there has to be a short because your other spark plug is getting spark.
Does it have the screw on style plug boots? Maybe you've got a bad connection there? Maybe the boot is just dirty. Check to make sure you've got an adequate amount of wire stripped and that the boot is on tight.
Does it have one coil or two coils? One of the coils could be bad-- it happens, just not often. Swap them. Try a car coil off an old Brit car if you've got one. I've used them of Triumphs and MG's.
The easiest but least technical way to troubleshoot a twin like this is one-at-a-time start switching components from the left to the right and see when your problem transfers.
Honestly, my 360 has had every problem known to man cause it to run on one cylinder. I swear to you, and this is a known problem for the 360, it's got a crummy pick up in the pet cock, and if it doesn't have enough fuel, it'll start running on one cylinder only-- I know it sounds retarded, but just check and see that it's got a full tank.
Also, the 360 will run on one cylinder if the battery doesn't have a full charge-- maybe the Norton is similar?
It has no coils, I have continuity on both plug wires. Im getting good flow from the tank as well, that was one of my first thoughts so i checked that. And also ive replaced the batter, its fully charged. Ive been messing with this now for about 6 months. Im just wondering if i dont need to get it completely rebuild, i just have to find someone around here to do it. Any other thoughts?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top