Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me set the stage for those of you who don't drive in Southern California. I'm driving in a right turn lane on a street that has three traffic lanes and a right turn lane at the upcoming intersection. The right turn lane is probably 50 yards long. The traffic light is red. Cars are stopped at the light well past entrance to the right turn lane. A car in the third lane, four back from the intersection, suddenly decides, without signalling, that he wants to make a right turn, so he accelerates out of his lane into the right turn lane right into my path. I panic grabbed a whole lot of front brake, but that still wasn't going to stop me before I hit him in the side, so (without letting go of the brake like they told me to at MSF class) I tried to swerve into the space between him and the curb. Lowside, but now at very low speed. I rolled off the bike onto the grass median and ended up standing up communicating my displeaseure to the rapidly departing driver. I guess I still remember those dive rolls from Aikido. Helmet never touched the ground.

Total damage: Nickle sized scratch to left knee. Nickle sized scrape to the point on the upper fairing, right side. Cracked right turn signal lens. Bent rear brake lever. Scratched right footpegs and exhaust can. [email protected]^^ lucky.

Next time... Add rear brake to front brake, let go to swerve. Just like they said at MSF class.

MC

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
So , are you saying that the driver bolted on you ??? Sounds like you came out OK . Atleast you didn't panic and not grab the brakes , slamming into the car . And most of all not too much damage to you or the bike . You did alright !

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Wow. You just never know when someone is gonna go stupid in traffic.
I'll be taking that course this spring, yet it looks like it works best only when people practice evasions until they're automatic.

Glad you came out good... compared to what could've happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, MSF course teaches a lot of good skills, but you have to practice them until they are automatic. This crash was only after a couple months of riding, so it wasn't quite automatic enough. I knew what to do, but I had to think about it too long. I thought as I was going down that I should have gotten off the brake first.

Out here, MSF teaches both beginning and advanced. I'm hoping to take the advanced this spring.

MC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts