Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 ninja EX500
I finally got the starter to turn over (wires were crossed).... put it all back together but went to start it but its not firing up.. i checked the fuel lines and it not pulling fuel from tank to carbs . I replaced all vaccum lines and in-line fuel filthers But wont start .. idk if its the carbs ,vaccum lines,petcock, or what?

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
A carb rail filter would be a better filter than an inline filter.
easy fuel filter ALTERNATIVE....YES!
I would start by checking the petcock function. Just disconnect the vacuum line at the carb. Disconnect the fuel line at the petcock. Put the old fuel line back on the petcock to use it to direct fuel into a container. With the petcock on the on position (assuming there is enough gas in the tank to reach the on position) apply vacuum to the vacuum line. Check the reserve position also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i adjusted the idol scew almost all the way open an closed to see if it would help ....still nothing

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had taken off the carb a few days earlier to clean and for the most part it wasnt bad. the float bowls were surprisingly Clean enough to eat off of so i never taken them apart . Only sprayed the rest of carbs with carb cleaner and soaked in fuel then assembled everything back together where the srew is on top i did adjust it a couple turns thinking maybe the carbs were out of sync but with no fuel flow or running idk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Has this bike sat for a while with old fuel in the tank? Mine did and the petcock was completely plugged up, ended up getting a new one. I would apply vacuum from like a shopvac, mouth, etc. and see if any fuel will come out. You can also remove the petcock and physically check if its clogged.

Also since poking around with the carb adjustments you're gonna wanna sync the carbs once you get it started.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has this bike sat for a while with old fuel in the tank? Mine did and the petcock was completely plugged up, ended up getting a new one. I would apply vacuum from like a shopvac, mouth, etc. and see if any fuel will come out. You can also remove the petcock and physically check if its clogged.

Also since poking around with the carb adjustments you're gonna wanna sync the carbs once you get it started.
Yes it actually sat in the Cycle shop
for Over 5 months then Said they didn't want to fix it .. but yet still charged me 200$ and didnt even Put the MF back together...They didnt even pay me yesterday when i went to pick it up Or Reemberse me for My deposit to Fix or repair it when it wasnt,. she said a 200$ deposit would cover it but i gave them 400$ just to make sure it was covered..i got it back after all this time in worse condition than when i brought it in🤬😡👹 SERIOUSLY it was a complete rebuild when it only needed a new starter and possibly ignition system Fuse.. i figured out it was the starter wires were crossed and drained the what fuel i could get out replacing with new fresh gas and seafoam the gas tank has a few pinholes in the bottom by the petcock valve so i taken it off to be cleaned . I jb welded and Flex Sealed the bottom of the tank to prevent it from leakin fuel with no success after the gas ate right through the JBweld & seafom.. back to square one trying to patch a few pinholes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, sounds like more than 1 issue. If the tank is leaking then its gonna need welded or replaced, epoxy and adhesives don't hold up to gasoline. What was it even in the shop for to begin with?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I broke the key off in the ignition so i had bought a new ignition switch after that it wouldn't start.. so i decided to pay someone to fix it
Wow, sounds like more than 1 issue. If the tank is leaking then its gonna need welded or replaced, epoxy and adhesives don't hold up to gasoline. What was it even in the shop for to begin with?
I broke the key off in the ignition so i bought another one Online and replaced it but it wouldn't turn over so i decided to pay the shop to fix . In return they didnt and only dismantled it even more doin diagnostics.. i figured out it was the starter wire were crossed

·
Registered
109 Posts
How did we go from a broken key to somehow getting starter wires crossed?

Anyways I would supply vacuum directly to the petcock to test its operation and go from there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've seen you post several times on several issues, so probably start high level and then dial in.

For this one are you sure you're getting spark? Fuel only flows from the petcock when there is vacuum. You have both hoses hooked up from the carb to the petcock (in the correct places)?

You can try a remote fuel tank into the carb to see if it will start that way to just try to rule out a few things, if it works with the remote fuel tank then ensure the vacuum line and fuel line on the petcock, and then ensure the petcock isn't clogged.

If there are pinholes in the tank then that will obviously need to be addressed as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes sir both spark plugs are brand new and gapped around 3.5. I have the smaller line from petcock to left nip and the larger line from petcock to the bottom Rail. The top top rail i have plugged off . And the right nip connected to the pair system. I took apart the petcock valve and cleaned it out with gas and carb cleaner reverse assembling it the way i took it off

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen you post several times on several issues, so probably start high level and then dial in.

For this one are you sure you're getting spark? Fuel only flows from the petcock when there is vacuum. You have both hoses hooked up from the carb to the petcock (in the correct places)?

You can try a remote fuel tank into the carb to see if it will start that way to just try to rule out a few things, if it works with the remote fuel tank then ensure the vacuum line and fuel line on the petcock, and then ensure the petcock isn't clogged.

If there are pinholes in the tank then that will obviously need to be addressed as well.
Also what is recommended to patch a few pinholes in the tank. jb weld and Flex Sealed didnt hold up

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes sir both spark plugs are brand new and gapped around 3.5. I have the smaller line from petcock to left nip and the larger line from petcock to the bottom Rail. The top top rail i have plugged off . And the right nip connected to the pair system. I took apart the petcock valve and cleaned it out with gas and carb cleaner reverse assembling it the way i took it off
Just because you have new plugs doesn't mean you have spark. Safest thing is to use a spark tester to check for spark while cranking, but you can also ground the plug while its connected to the wire to check for spark.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just because you have new plugs doesn't mean you have spark. Safest thing is to use a spark tester to check for spark while cranking, but you can also ground the plug while its connected to the wire to check for spark.
I absolutely will do that and go from there my
Have it welded or buy another tank.
I know i couldn't agree more with you that way.. i priced a new tank at 300 + & the ones i seen online Ebay etc..were either not my model or rusted, wrong color so
i figured patching it until i have the money to spare ..

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just out of curiosity... Did you by chance disconnect the line going from petcock to the carbs and put it in a bottle or something and then try cranking it a few times just to see if any fuel at all is flowing through?

I'd personally use a straight fuel line with no filter just to see...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts