Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant is leaking very slowly and accumulates at the bolt at the bottom, see photo. Not a huge problem as coolant needs to be topped off just once in months. I am not sure what is wrong with this. The bike was dropped a few times. Maybe someone had the same problems? Any recommendations for troubleshooting? Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i had a similar issue on mine, it was actually coming from the hard pope above going to the head. As it heated up and pressure built a little bit would make its way past the O ring on the pipe and then around the cover and collect there.

Easiest thing to do is to check the torque on the 4 bolts on the cover and check to make sure the pipe is seated all the way and O ring isn't popping out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could also be the radiator hose come to think of it, make sure the clamp is on and that isnt leaking too. .

If things are tight and you still have a leak then there are 2 gaskets (one under the cover and one under the plate). Id order those and some 18MM o rings,

I just replaced mine not too long ago, along with the mechanical seal and oil seal for good measure. wasnt a lot of money and pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree. but first you must find out where the leak is. dry the area and watch. the leak could be anywhere it always runs to the lowest point (the drain bolt) when you know where leak is someone will be able to advise how to fix it,

·
Registered
249 Posts
In my case it wouldn't leak until the engine was warned and some pressure built up, incase you can't see any drips or drops after cleaning it.

I almost put a dusting of a powder like flour or something just so I could try to see where it was actually coming from easier, but I was able to see a little pool of coolant in the backside of the coolant pipe .

·
Registered
27 Posts
That front cover houses the water pump, right?
So I would bet on the mechanical seal.
Isn't there a "weep" hole or some drain for the mechanical seal?

And forget flour, use baby powder. That's why all my bikes smell so nice!

·
Registered
19,298 Posts
A coolant leak in that area is 99.99% coming from the weep hole between the water & oil seal behind the water pump. Put there to allow escape of either from contaminating the other.

if it is coolant you may be able to fix it by resurfacing the carbon face of the water side on a sheet of 600 paper.
If it's just a little dribble it may fix itself

FOG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts