Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

321 - 340 of 365 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
^ displaced by a '94 Ducati Il Mostro ...belts, valves, carb refurb, oil/filter, new fuel lines....blah blah blah...a "new to me" service, get it safe, reliable and rideable.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
First task...immediately defeated the auto retract sidestand this evening. Those things are out and out dangerous, accidents waiting to happen.

Ghost did on my 900SS 25 years ago in prep prior to purchase.
There is a sidestand down indicator on the dash anyway. And older riders know enough to do a visual, not an issue for owner.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #324 (Edited)
Oil, filter and strainer all serviced, valves, belts done, await delivery on tires, trick NGK spark plug wires, fuel line, some other stuff.

Carbs'll be off tonight. Good overall progress.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
First task...immediately defeated the auto retract sidestand this evening. Those things are out and out dangerous, accidents waiting to happen.
Yup. Any number of garage and driveway tip overs resulted from that heinous "feature".

A buddy of mine in the mid 1990s flew down to Miami and picked up an 851 that had adorned the living room of the seller.

I warned him to watch out for the suicidal self retracting side stand. After he rode that 851 all the way back from Miami, he thanked me for the warning.

It saved him from dropping it...unlike a fellow dot MS member at the WCM this summer. He's had the bike for a number of years and is experienced enough with it, yet crap happens.

A defeated self retracting stand wouldn't have landed his 900SS on the ground doing a motorcycle impression of the limbo......sean

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
gaining ground on the Monster....carbs done, found stock jetting, capped pilot screws and NO bowl gaskets. A PO somewhere along the line opted for silicone seal gooped all over....a major no no. And I'm the one who paid the price ....that stuff a PIA to get rid of.

Much like the Pile...I don't understand how someone can knowingly perform such an action using such a clearly unacceptable, unprofessional method. Full knowing its wrong from concept through execution....a GASKET belongs on the bowl! Order the CORRECT GASKET! Better yet, think ahead and have them in your possession...in ADVANCE! (srry, rant over)

Carbs now correctly, completely refurbed. ALL new orings, rail, bowl seals, float valves and pilot screw caps now gone. Every o ring was crystallized hard as rock, likely original from new.

Anyways, I'll install tomorrow, synch, adjust pilots, see how she starts and runs, reacts to throttle input. It is street legal, I can test ride if inclined.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Forgot about slight presence of rust in tank...gonna try Evaporust product. Seems safe and easy, affordable, available at Home Depot. I'll treat it with that stuff prior to startup. So no rush, ongoing, I'm not on a firm deadline

Ride today takes all priority!

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
The owner of the Ducati Monster I'm working on paid a visit today on an S&S engined, 116 cu inch? HD. Wow, another super loud getup.
He recognizes his Monster to be in another world when completed. I'll eventually get him on some of the backroads with his new Michelins, cleaned carbs and tuned engine. I'd expect the drastic light weight and handling difference should be somewhat a revelation to him.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #329 (Edited)
something I haven't done in years...pulled an all nighter...engine and electrics all buttoned back up, exhaust pulled for paint (found a critical exhaust pinch clamp loose...bolt broken off inside, I drilled, retapped) , minor touch up painting, adjusting of controls, brake and clutch bleeding, prepped front wheel for pull, new Michelins here, Evaporust applied to tank. Detailing wherever I'm going in.

A lot accomplished, I see the end game approaching. The owner will be shocked when he sees and rides. I think he's got a keeper here. Pics when justified.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
await delivery on trick NGK spark plug wires, fuel line, some other stuff.

you wouldn't care to divulge where a uh, fellow Ducati owner might, you know....locate a set of said trick NGK plug wires, would you? :grin2:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Battery Cables

@ducatiman @Apriliarider

On the subject of starting Ducati's....do you guys run the heavy duty battery cables on your bikes?

My 996 was so sluggish that sometimes I doubted it would even make a single revolution. I made myself a set of heavy duty battery cables from 4ga welding wire, and replaced the battery with a MotoBatt unit. The 996 now spins the starter just as fast as any bike I've ever owned. I would say night and day difference, but it's even more than that in reality.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
@ducatiman @Apriliarider

On the subject of starting Ducati's....do you guys run the heavy duty battery cables on your bikes?

My 996 was so sluggish that sometimes I doubted it would even make a single revolution. I made myself a set of heavy duty battery cables from 4ga welding wire, and replaced the battery with a MotoBatt unit. The 996 now spins the starter just as fast as any bike I've ever owned. I would say night and day difference, but it's even more than that in reality.
I run them, yes. But not because I wanted to, they were already installed when I got the bike.

I run a Shorai battery though and it is always a bit sluggish at the first touch of the switch. Once it gets going though, it isn't so sluggish anymore and I've never had it fail to start.

That said, I'll be installing both on the 900 project bike when I reach that point. Maybe mid October if thing continue to progress at the current rate.........sean

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
A Ballistic in the 900, Shorai in the 800. I updated cables on the 900 as they were in the 22-23 year old age bracket at the time. I sourced wire and terminals, made them up DIY. A winter project, IIRC ...around the same time I converted to full LED's.
The newer 800 remains original, electrically untouched save full LED's and Shorai.

No cranking/starting issues whatsoever, quite to the contrary...touch of the button starts on each.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
The Monster she's a runner! Pulled the exhaust to rattle can repaint black (was sorely needed and justified) and also to ease wheel removal and detailing the rear end while there. All done, replaced already.

I've got a laundry list...but can report the usual overtorqued, missing/incorrect hardware, unnecessary use of additional exhaust clamps, meanwhile a critical clamp was missing (causing an obvious exhaust leak) ...gross dirty parts (see after/before pic of chain adjusters). All missing carb/tank vent/drain hoses replaced....on and on.

Started really well...requiring a minor idle adjust. Tomorrow...carb synch, pilot adjusts, "quiet clutch" mod. When able, a test ride will ensue. I'll snap a pic or 2.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #337 (Edited)
Monster test ride a resounding success....comfortable, fun bike, low seat height, easy, agile steering. I think he'll be quite happy with such an alternative to his big Harley D's. Pic as promised.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Monster test ride a resounding success....comfortable, fun bike, low seat height, easy, agile steering. I think he'll be quite happy with such an alternative to his big Harley D's. Pic as promised.
Looks like a 1997??? Unsure but I think so. IIRC 1997 was the only year the Monster came with the red/gold graphics on the black. I think.

Muddled thoughts due to how much research on the differences between the Monster and SS engines I've been doing.

Those chain adjusters looked *nasty* before you cleaned them up......sean

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #339 (Edited)
Its a '93 and yes, sorely lacked basic, simple cleanup and maintenance procedures. Valve covers leaking oil (gaskets crystallized hard) wrong/missing/loose/overtightened hardware all over. Carb consumables likely original....rock hard orings, silicone seal in lieu of bowl gaskets.

Aside from valve covers leaking, in doing valves and belts, all the basics there seemed to be assembled correctly, no over/under torque or missing fasteners. Perhaps the PO enlisted a pro to do and therefore personally left those phases alone?

Non consistent, I dunno. I've corrected, cleaned, detailed whatever and wherever I've delved into, from ignition switch to rear tire.
Desperately needed the quiet clutch mod too, what a racket there.

Owner soon to be test riding, I'll accompany him on my CBR. We'll make any adjustments deemed necessary. At least now, with all done, we know its a safe, reliable runner.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
owner advises the Triumph 675 (aka "the Pile") has passed NY State inspection! On the path to road legal....our overall goal.

321 - 340 of 365 Posts