Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

341 - 360 of 365 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #341 (Edited)
Stumbled upon the actual, original "pile" in my garage today, forgot I had bagged and saved it, gave me a chuckle.

When we completed the 675, i offered the electrical remnants to the owner, who declined. I then opted to save ...real evidence of a true hack job...on what NOT to do....a true classic. Looking back...it was a fun, satisfying project.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
1st gig for '20... appointment made for March 1, a neglected ST1100 Honda V4, new battery, fuel system and carb clean, get running, new tires.

·
Administrator
3,606 Posts
Stumbled upon the actual, original "pile" in my garage today, forgot I had bagged and saved it, gave me a chuckle.

When we completed the 675, i offered the electrical remnants to the owner, who declined. I then opted to save ...real evidence of a true hack job...on what NOT to do....a true classic. Looking back...it was a fun, satisfying project.

That was Fun?! Your sense of fun may be even more warped than mine :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
I guess just winter doldrums spewing out from me. Doing house type stuff just not as entertaining as a hacked bike.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Working on a Polaris Sportsman 700 ATV....a giant thing. Water pump seal(s) replace requiring a flywheel pull.

Conditions so far first session ....in owners poorly lit, cold, very tiny garage. Cramped, no compressor, basic hand tools only.
Once parts are in we gotta get this thing to my garage...LED lights, HEAT, compressor, air tools, torch, ramps, etc...friendly, roomy working conditions.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
4 foot overhead LED shop lights...6 units strategically placed....no complaints on lighting here. Propane heat when and if needed, but frankly I avoid the cold out there. Only when necessary.

In winter I transition a lotta stuff to my indoor basement shop.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Giant Polaris ATV in my garage for some service work. HUGE.

Doing water pump and crank inner seals...pulled flywheel before got cold here. Good progress as it just got here today.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Doing water pump and crank inner seals...pulled flywheel before got cold here. Good progress as it just got here today.
Just saw on the news that Up State was getting serious lake effect snow.....that isn't making it's way to Long Island is it? Just wondered...and after reading this, really wondered how you were faring with the winter weather. Hope all is well....sean

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Long Island considered "downstate" near ocean....radically different weather than "upstate" NY. Thankfully, this winter was void of any major snowstorms down here at least. A couple of very minor droppings. But still cold, preventing any riding. Though soon, won't be too long now.

The ATV seals installed, crankcase prepped, I'm about ready to wrap it up, target date Monday predicted to be 15 degrees warmer.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Long Island considered "downstate" near ocean....radically different weather than "upstate" NY. Thankfully, this winter was void of any major snowstorms down here at least. A couple of very minor droppings. But still cold, preventing any riding. .
Glad knowing you didn't get that weather. Looked atrocious to me...but that's why I live in California.....no snow down here. 80 ft or so above sea level doesn't hurt. Who knows.....one day, I might live at the beach....with out moving from my present location! LoL.....sean

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Who knows.....one day, I might live at the beach....with out moving from my present location! LoL.....sean
Polar caps-a-melting :surprise: . About a week ago it got up to 65 degrees in Antarctica, hottest day ever on record there.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
The major fault line up here, runs North/South just West of where I live. Major quake.....beach front property :)

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Some research has revealed this Polaris able to use my OEM Honda oil filter! As the owner had coolant infiltrate the engine oil, I'll be doing an additional "flush" oil change.

Stator cover, crankcase and hardware painstakingly prepped and ready for reassembly. I'm juggling with set of 250 carbs here for refurb too.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #356 (Edited)
Nice sunny day in the 60's....finished assembly of the Polaris....flushed, changed oil/filter. Fresh coolant......a couple runs down the block to bring it up to temp....no leaks, charging system operational.

This baby's done....to be picked up over the weekend. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
big, heavy old tourer for sure. Tricky carbs on these V4....R & R a "challenge" ..certain carbs have different jetting. Gotta be very careful. And tight access much like my VFR. New tires and battery. Pretty big job.

Once completed, to be followed by a Yamaha R6 service...Pair delete, oil, plugs, air filter.

341 - 360 of 365 Posts