Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

381 - 400 of 411 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Honda 750 Shadow Ace now in my possession....running issues, a carb pull necessary.

shad1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
At my suggestion, job now expanded to include an overdue valve clearance check. New air filter and carb bowl orings ordered. Work to commence when I clear the current backup of carbs here.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
carbs essentially completed, valve clearances in process

shad11.jpg
shad12.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #384 (Edited)
On the Honda Shadow 750 V twin valve clearances and carb synch done yesterday, 1st test run (in place) with jetting intact as I found it.....obviously exhibiting lean properties, popping from the basically open "fishtail". Pilot screws required open near 4-5 turns!

Advised owner some "extra effort" was required. Another carb pull today.....some jetting voodoo accomplished to great results.
Approx 2 turns out now to set pilot screws, idle stable, smooth (can lower it way down to too low actually), no stall, instant start. Yank throttle for instant response, no popping on its way right back to the predictable, smooth , stable idle. An aside....light bottoming of each pilot screw kills that cylinder....each carb pilot circuit are clear as a bell, indicating successful cleaning and synch (surprise, surprise)

This man now has an impressive runner. I think he'll be blown away at the difference (as am I ) ....but still more to accomplish.

As the existing fuel lines were old, a mish-mash of 4 types of hoses & clamps, and problematic routeing to boot ...what a mess. I've ordered my chosen type of line, a Y fitting and clamps to totally revise and restore fuel pathways from pump on outwards. Looking for both reliability and longevity.

Pic results of accurate synch.

shad16.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #385 (Edited)
Honda Shadow has left the building. Direct quote via text from owner "unbelievable, great throttle response, no hesitations, just perfect".

shad15.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
a '96 EX500 here, carb/fuel system refurb, get running , brakes f & r, more and more. Sat outside for some period....tank contained a gas and water mix. Frozen in place fuel cap (the cap surround drain clogged), white corrosive crap inside petcock....all to be expected from deadly outdoor storage.

Miracle, I carefully got the cap opened without bending the key. Its apart for refurb and lubing. Removed the troublesome vent flaps, cap open/close/key function now effortless. Carbs done already, startup attempt later today. Rusted front brake caliper, rear pads metal on metal.

Want to destroy your bike in fairly short order? Leave it stored outdoors exposed to elements, uncovered.
ge1.jpg
ge2.jpg

ge6.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Only 1 brake "pad" in the rear caliper! No wear material present.....just 1 slab of rusted metal. Some sort of weight savings attempt? /s
DANGEROUS POOP....we maka all good again.

Front caliper really sticking pistons...repair in process. New pads all around, freeing pistons, full bleed, blah blah blah.

Brakes were never even mentioned initially....as this thing was a deathtrap...we (owner and I) have reached further agreement on repair arrangement.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Wow. SMH. That brake caliper is a disaster. How does one not notice a missing pad? The noise the metal backing against the rotor shoulda gotten the riders attention. Lemme guess.....it was the pad against the piston?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wow. SMH. That brake caliper is a disaster. How does one not notice a missing pad? The noise the metal backing against the rotor shoulda gotten the riders attention. Lemme guess.....it was the pad against the piston?
I see 2 pads in the caliper, but only 1 actually has braking material, the other is just the backing metal.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
YES, but isn’t the pictured caliper the front one? That appears to be a radiator in the frame😬

Reactions: Davenay67

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
The pic is the badly rusted front caliper, trust me, the rear contained only 1 pad...worn all the way.

On and on....spark plug, indicative of the desperate need this thing was in. All intake valve clearances were near 0, carb idle circuits plugged.

Push button start now.

ge15.jpg

ge16.jpg

ge17.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
Owner picked up this evening, later comments via text... "it ran great!"
Next up 250 Ninja carbs for refurb, then yet another 500 due next week. Valves, carbs, tires with owner assist.

This weekend taking a day off to....ride one o' my own.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Which one?
Which bike? I think the 800, with underlying motives.
A: a comfort test of the current bar/rise configuration in a long ride scenario (around 150 mile)
B: I'm just under service mark of 6,000 mi, I'd like to reach that, to then commence with a valve clearance check (to include MBP collet install) while weather finally agrees. An FI tweak or 2 as well. This quirky Eye-talion Marelli FI new to me, learning my limitations.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Doesn’t matter does it? I think he’s earned it, and in spades at that
Ty, I'd tend to agree, after 1 "all nighter" followed by 2 sessions of 8-10 hours. Above and beyond basic service work was accomplishment of rust removal, general cleanup, a minor electrical issue or 2 (poor connections at front turn signals causing inop), a couple of broken off bolts removed via drill and EZE OUT, other ancillary stuff. At times boring, requiring dedication to task at hand and long hours to see it through to quickly, finish the job. This time o' year, folks want to ride!

Curiously, the INTAKE valves had no clearance on this 500, the normally tight exhausts were actually ok. Weird, no explanation on that scenario.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Point well taken. My brain doesn't work that way I guess. Having multiple bikes in the garage, I just jump on what suits my mood....mostly that means a v-twin but on occasion, a wailing 4 cylinder is a real treat. A departure from my norm.

Hence why I posted what I did. I sometimes think all of us choose what we ride depending on mood rather than specific technical reasons....sean

·
Registered
412 Posts
Point well taken. My brain doesn't work that way I guess. Having multiple bikes in the garage, I just jump on what suits my mood....mostly that means a v-twin but on occasion, a wailing 4 cylinder is a real treat. A departure from my norm.

Hence why I posted what I did. I sometimes think all of us choose what we ride depending on mood rather than specific technical reasons....sean
You have a V Twin?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ty, I'd tend to agree, after 1 "all nighter" followed by 2 sessions of 8-10 hours. Above and beyond basic service work was accomplishment of rust removal, general cleanup, a minor electrical issue or 2 (poor connections at front turn signals causing inop), a couple of broken off bolts removed via drill and EZE OUT, other ancillary stuff. At times boring, requiring dedication to task at hand and long hours to see it through to quickly, finish the job. This time o' year, folks want to ride!

Curiously, the INTAKE valves had no clearance on this 500, the normally tight exhausts were actually ok. Weird, no explanation on that scenario.
That EX-500 was likely beaten like a red-headed stepchild....poor thing.

381 - 400 of 411 Posts