Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

401 - 411 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
You have a V Twin?
Why yes indeedy.....a 60 degree one....and 2 90 degree ones. Not to be confused with a Milwaukee twin.... 😁

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why yes indeedy.....a 60 degree one....and 2 90 degree ones. Not to be confused with a Milwaukee twin.... 😁
Hmmm....i though Mille's were V4's....guess I need to get better educated. :geek:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Hmmm....i though Mille's were V4's....guess I need to get better educated. :geek:
The NEW Mille's are V4s.The old ones, are 60 degree Rotax twins. The V4R is a ridiculous beast. 100 arrives in 2nd and before the end of the on ramp. With throttle left over.

My old V60 is raw. Visceral and not at all smooth in on-off throttle transitions.

My buddy Pete and I traded bikes one day so he could check out the Mille R on a twisty road. When he hopped off to take his R6 back, all he could say was "Brutal"

The V4R is the opposite. It is polished, smooth and refined. It is also eminently quick to get up to speed. Like no effort quick. I couldn't own one. I'd be in jail or sans license.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #404 (Edited)
Which bike? I think the 800, with underlying motives.
A: a comfort test of the current bar/rise configuration in a long ride scenario (around 150 mile)
B: I'm just under service mark of 6,000 mi, I'd like to reach that, to then commence with a valve clearance check (to include MBP collet install) while weather finally agrees. An FI tweak or 2 as well. This quirky Eye-talion Marelli FI new to me, learning my limitations.
My former co-worker Alex accompanied me on his CBR600RR to Montauk Point Lighthouse on the eastern most tip of Long Island. After a total of 172 miles today, the 800 felt like another bike, near a VFR like, sport tourer) This latest version of tweaks to the adjustable clip-ons has totally transitioned it in terms of comfort. As I had reverted back to factory spec.....I'm gonna work back and lower the front end just a hair (I'm still on my tiptoes) via raising fork tubes in triples, thinking 10-12mm. I'll then have the compromised sidestand shortened a bit via a certified pro welder at my former job. I believe that will then complete and personalize my comfort/lowering tweaks to best as I can get them. An aside....the 800 Ducati seat is actually more comfortable than my new CBR650 Honda rock hard example. Huh? What?

ODO stands at 5925....close enough now, first FULL service is now due. I calculated 42mpg today, I'm hoping to improve some after service and some FI system tweaks. There is a fuel system "breather canister"...complex and a vacuum leak waiting to happen, its ugly, in the way and takes up a ton of room....bye-bye. I'll go step by step with test rides between in order to ease diagnosis if I screw something up....I'll be able to reverse my moves if necessary.

Overall quite a satisfying ride on the 800. Now a definite keeper!

800mont63.jpg

800mont62.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #405 (Edited)
Handlebar related comfort tweaks completed, total success, and full engine service now accomplished.
This bike now nearing a user friendly VFR riding position, of course less the sheer weight of the VFR. Instead of pain/strain after 30 minutes, I'm good for 4-5 hours. The valve service and throttle body synch has brought the idle down a tad (1100 RPM), refined low throttle opening engine feel, while restoring some serious midrange torque. Coupled with typical Ducati handling, a blast to ride. With a little over 6,000 miles the total package a definite keeper, a serious contender as my "go to" bike. The total transformation, with parts $$ and major personal effort has delivered personal gratification as a vision realized! A year ago, I contemplated selling as it sat unused in my garage. No more, its back in the game!

valve6206final.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
This Baja 90 kids ATV in my possession 1 day. Requires service/ startup after 4 years dormant under cover outdoors. New battery a no brainer. Pertinent bodywork removed, carb already off/cleaned (all jets were clogged solid) no air in tires, gooped spark plug. Remarkably, valve clearances were ok. Otherwise awaiting parts deliveries, gotta flush rotted fuel from inside tank, replace fuel suppy/drain hoses, same old, same old ...blah blah blah.

baja1.jpg

baja2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #407 (Edited)
All bodywork now removed....turn key ON...electrics dead. "Breaking in" to sealed on/off key switch revealed internal copper contacts corroded the result of extreme, long term outdoor storage, not surprising at all. Resurfaced all contacts, reassembled ...now have on/off function restored, lights and start button now operational. The repair saved the expense of the Far East iggy switch! $10 bucks maybe?
Proper start attempt to commence tonight when temp drops. Will evaluate via temporarily using a battery on hand from a Honda Spree. Expenses so far? 1 Spark plug, 1 oring, 2 screws and some fresh fuel.
Provided we have start/run and somewhat engine integrity ....investment planned on proper battery and drive chain. Brake system has yet to be evaluated. Obviously intended for use by youngsters...owner requires totally safe operation. Additionally, engine speed can be electronically governed on this ATV. Will do as requested as we move along step by step.
So far been fun, relaxing, no pressure.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #408 (Edited)
We have a runner. Carb work netted touch button starting, smooth, quiet idle, instant responding to throttle. All electrical components now functional. After confer with owner...I've got green light to go forward with purchasing of battery, chain, anything else needed. Still on the checklist...tank flush, fresh fuel (dosed with Stabil Marine) brake inspection F&R, bodywork clean & install, yet another oil change...but great progress made today.
Pic running via remote gravity fed fuel source this evening (note fuel line running upwards)

baja6.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
All done, just awaiting receipt of an RK brand 428 chain. Hopefully genuine, not a counterfeit! I've got the (thumb type) adjustable throttle throw dialed back some, this ATV intended for a (very lucky) 9 year old fella.
Well mannered carburetion on this thing is gonna spoil the kid! Running impeccably.

baja7.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
I've been advised a SV650 Suzuki, dormant 4 years, to be here in 7-10 days for wake up. Owner likely motive selling. obvious new battery, carb clean, oil and filter service...startup. And yet another Suzuki (distant neighbor acquaintance) due for probable clutch work.....no date set as yet ....possibly accompanied with a personal agenda...some detailed clutch plate application research, gotta see what I'm working with, measurements, blah blah.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #411 (Edited)
On the Ducati SS800...messing with (and still learning) diagnostic laptop software, double checked my TPS setting revealed was at 2.4 (degrees of opening)....amazing technology allowed one click RESET back to factory spec 2.7. Starting, idling perfect.... but raining here, unable to test ride, dammit.

Leaving todays "lesson" right there...I'm deathly afraid of screwin' settings (or something else) up.

401 - 411 of 411 Posts