Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent "Painful" acident topic brought to start this topic.

My 1st bike ('79 Yamaha 500 twin) was a highway commuter, so I got a windshield that mounted with plastic or nylon machine screws (small bolts).
My '05 ex500 has steel screws/nuts for windscreen, mirrors & fairing.

Should we replace the steel w/ the nylon?

In an accident letting the fasteners stretch/break would generally reduce damage to bike & body alike.

If you have any experiences or expertise with such please share.
Seems like nylon screws & nuts are even available at Lowes & such.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have no experience whatsoever on this, but I still have an opinion ;)

I think getting breakable fasteners are indeed better for the reasons you pointed out.. Just don't take something that'll send your windshield fly off at highway speeds (or whichever speed you're travelling at)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Splash said:
Nylon for the windscreen sounds OK, if you don't mind they come in white.
There are black nylon tie straps so i figure they oughta have black nylon machine screws & nuts too. I'll look around & see what I can find.

Anyone know the windscreen & fairing fastener sizes?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I noticed some in the Kmart auto section today, 4 pack of black nylon screws and nuts, they looked like a perfect replacement, $2 for the 4 pack so $4 gets the job done. I think I'll go that route myself, seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I went ahead and got the nylon screws. Fit great and looks pretty good to me. I took a pic but it was too dark I'll have to take another in better light.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't remember the size of the mirror/windshield screws/bolts/nuts. But it seems that ^ is an okay fit. damarble, what size were these black nylon screws you bought?

I think it would be a good idea, the force and stress needed to break nylon is MUCH less than steel and could help reduce injury from hitting the windshield.

R

·
0 Posts
Post up the sizes and screws you bought. As a commuter, I put a lot of kms on the bike and wouldn't mind taking an extra safety precaution!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
this is what should be attached to all fake harley fools bikes...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
because not matter how hard they try to look they are still pussys...

R

·
0 Posts
lol. I got that, but why in this thread? I just re-read it again and don't see even a mention of Harley riders?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
ahhh..i dont know...i saw it on the same web page as the nylon bolts...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts