Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I put about 80 miles on the bike today and I found a great road with banked turns and a 45-60 mph varying speedlimit. Pretty smooth road, a couple of spots are "Oak Alleys"(trees have grown all the way over the road) creating a tree tunnel. ;D

It was a great ride.

One thing I noticed was the 500's seat is really comfy but the vibes through the handle bars are a bit annoying after riding for about 50 miles. The vibrations made my hands tingle towards the middle definitely need some HVMP bar ends or better grips or both.

I also saw someone do something really stupid today...I was heading back home after my wonderful ride on a two lane road. I put my left turn signal on and started to decelerate to turn left at the intersection to head home (no stop sign on the road I was on) but the two side streets had stop signs. There was a mini van in the oncoming lane signaling a left turn and another car at the stop sign to my left.

I checked my mirrors to make sure that no one was going to run me over as I slowed for my turn and I noticed a rider behind me approaching quickly. Now mind you I'm my lane slowing to turn and the other car is facing me signaling their left turn. Just as I start to turn left the bike that was approaching zooms past me on my right and he waves as he goes by.

Man I thought that is soooo dangerous because the other driver may have been preoccupied with me seeing me turning left and thinking they could start their turn. in a split-second, that kid could've been a hood ornament. I say kid...but I have no real way of knowing....other than the gear he was wearing...vans, shorts, t-shirt, helmet, and gloves...and nothing else. :-\

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Maybe he'll get a chance to learn from his mistakes, maybe he'll become a statistic :'(

·
Registered
722 Posts
Shopshirt Mofo said:
One thing I noticed was the 500's seat is really comfy
it is comfortable for normal riding, but I had extra long saddle time and with multiple back and forth trips I logged about 160 miles. And let me tell you I was a bit chapped by the time I got home. I had to drive my car today because my saddle area still burned.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Tell me if I'm crazy but I think I have an idea to fix that for cheap ;)

Does anyone know those gel cushions for the wrists you use when you type ?

Would racking enough to cover the saddle width and then redo the saddle covering a good idea ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been passed more than once by some one on the right. Most of the time its a squid gives a littel toot on the horn or waves as he goes by. I just shake my head and think one more person giving bikes a bad name.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Frog said:

Would racking enough to cover the saddle width and then redo the saddle covering a good idea ?
I can't afford a Corbin, so I've considered something similar. I'm thinking of using an closed cell foam exercise mat and layering it for the foam and then recovering the seat. The stock seat is plain open cell foam. I like the stock seat but agree that for long rides it could be improved. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frog said:

I thought of this too, but I was looking at the Gel Bicycle seat covers at the local sporting good stores. They slip over a regular bicycle seat and are generally about $10.00 dollars. You could buy a couple and split one down the center then add the center material from the second one to customize the width. Or you could leave the split in the middle for the jewels! ;)

Or you could buy a gel pad from Corbin for $150.00. Isn't it funny that when they add motorcycle to something it quadruples the price....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts