Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(NOTE; APOLOGIES FOR ANY REFERENCES SPECIFIC TO A GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION IN THIS PIECE)

During this worldwide “you’ve been sent to your room for a timeout” disciplinary action by an entity known as the Coronavirus, each of us has probably developed a new perspective on life. With different kinds of restrictions in place- social distancing, changes in the workplace, and the various levels of isolation- a different world is emerging. With that as context, here are a few observations.

1) By now, your living space should be clean. No excuses. Get that vacuum and dust rag out already. If this situation hasn’t motivated you to mop up, nothing will.

2) I have noticed that my inclinations to murder my partner have gone up roughly 18%. Remember Jack Nicholson in the movie “The Shining?” We are now in a collective isolation at the Overlook Hotel.

3) Naps have increased. (see #2 above). Is two naps a day now ok?

4) a. If you believed the sports media stories were shallow before the outbreak, well, now….oh boy.

b. Speaking of sports, is it possible we are much better off without professional sports? Everyone could nap more. Go for walks. Read. Work on puzzles. You know, active and participatory things.

5) This is a special opportunity to work on my neurotic tendencies. Neurotic tendencies. Tendencies.

6) If the coronavirus is aided in any manner by strong wind, the folks here in the Red River Valley are up against it, man. Hey weatherman, can you help with this? At all?

7) In “shelter in place” circumstances, where we are required to stay at home and the only people allowed out are “essential personnel,” can we make an exception for the pizza delivery guy/gal? Can I get an ‘amen?’

8) I live in the country, about five miles out of town. Been here over nine years. In that time, I have never seen a runner go by our place. Last week, that changed. Our first jogger trudged by. Now that’s someone who had to get out of the house. Can you relate?

9) Did anyone foresee that a spring flood and tossing sandbags to protect against the floodwaters could be considered a nice way to get outside? Therapeutic, even?

10) Kids are a reason this coronavirus thing can’t last forever. Kids and confinement don’t go together. Nope. Not at all.

11) Is it just me, or has this situation allowed us to now actually watch snow melt? It seems like other years you notice the effects of snow melting; this time it seems I am watching it melt.

·
Registered
530 Posts
good observations. yeah it's great here in the UK complete shutdown of life as we know it. everything is locked down.
the wife and I are in the most at risk so have been isolated for 3 weeks already. and it looks like it could be for another 3 months.
my observations so far. very depressing to say the least. in the last 3 weeks I have done the house top to bottom at least 10 times with disinfectant and bleach. done all the repairs I meant to do for the last 10 years.

lost all interest in TV it is all either repeats or Covid 19 reports.

I have lost 15lbs already due to lack of appetite and dwindling food supplies. just one meal a day today it was beans on toast with brown sauce.

my garage/mancave is so tidy and clean there is nothing left to do except strip one of the bikes down to clean it with a toothbrush and polish it to within and inch of it's life.

we are not allowed out even for a walk going stir crazy already. not sleeping at all so spending as much time as possible [when not cleaning] to playing computer games and playing online poker. so far I'm £310 up and learning more all the time.

that's is for now my predictions for the next 3 months as follows.
there will be no paint left on any surface in the house it will all be washed off.
I will have to sell my bed as I will no longer use it.
I will be at least 200lbs lighter.
gone mad and be sectioned or in jail having murdered the wife.
be either worth a million or bankrupt through on line gaming.
and will have to go on a riding course when I do get out as I will have forgot how to ride the bike. LOL.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Beans on Toast is a meal of champions, but ye gods man....brown sauce?

I'm happy that we are still allowed outside for walks. Heck, our governor even encouraged to get outside for some fresh air, so long as we exhibit good 'social distancing' habits. Shoot....I hate these new buzzwords and catch-phrases!

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
All good observations. Our governor has pretty much told people to go out and walk and do stuff but also practice good social distancing. I'm still working, when there is work to be done.

We've been having extraordinarily good weather the last few days. I went for a pedal a few days ago, and again just now. I was halfway out on an out and back when I noted that the wind had picked up considerably and the clouds were rolling in rather swiftly.

As I'd noted before I left my house, the weather looked quite good, but there were some ominous clouds on the horizon. I packed my rain jacket and cold weather beanie (under helmet wear) just in case. When the wind began to pick up, I looked at the clouds, and realized it was less a "wind" and more accurately, a down draft. I knew it was gonna be a bad one.

I put on my rain jacket and beanie and pointed my bike down hill. I got about 3 turns of the crank in and the heavens opened up on me. Rain was coming in sideways. No place at all to shelter from that mess. I pedaled hard and got home in around 10 minutes. Got hailed on about 5 minutes from home.

Now, it's been around an hour since I got back, and it's still coming down out there. Hailed twice so far. The weather is as crazy as this whole Corona Virus thing is.

Starting to get a chill....gonna go change into dryer clothing and have something hot to drink....sean

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been in the Bay Area for just about four years and I still cannot adjust to these "microclimates." Still sunny south of you, but it was raining earlier. Enjoy your hot drink!

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Thanks! I did just that. Hot cocoa with a shot of Kalua and a shot of Bailey's to "spice" it up a bit. 😁

You're absolutely correct though, the Bay Area is filled with dozens of Micro Climates. I live on the East edge of Fairfield. Coming from your direction, the last Fairfield exit along I80 before you reach Vacaville.

The climate is different from the Western edge of town over by 680, which is also different to the Cordelia area less than a mile a way from there, next to Hwy 80. Suisun (it's pronounced Suh-soon) has yet another different climate versus the North West end of town, closer to the Napa Mountains. It's different yet again out at the Air Base. It's crazy that there are that many different micro climates in one place.....and it's no different in the rest of the Bay Area.

On a side note, a little bit of history:
If anyone is wondering how you get "Suh-soon" out of Suisun, it's a Native American name. The Suisun Indians inhabited the area when it was first settled, and was named after them by the first European settlers. (That'd be the Spanish). There's a street in Napa that's called Imola, like the Italian track....only it too is a Native American name and is pronounced "Eye-ehm-ohla". I was rather harshly corrected by a Napa native when I pronounced it like the Italian track name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts