Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admin...what is all this??? Not a fan. Has nothing to do with navigation but everything to do with layout. Too small, too much scrolling...YUCK!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm new as of yesterday so I got to see the old forum and today the new. I like the new because I never got used to the old way. Anyways, if you want things bigger you can ALWAYS use your keyboard to make text larger and less scrolling. On windows computers its CTRL and the "+" button to increase size and the "-" to decrease. Also CTRL and "0" puts everything back to normal.

Hope that helps you workaround the issue.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not about making my screen larger. I want the old style back! It's like all the reasons I am on here, for the discussions (threads, posts) are now taking a back seat to ads, ads and more ads.
I get it, this site is expensive to run but I say the mods start looking at other companies to use for the EX500 Forum. I know the CB650 site works really well. Not sure who runs it or how much it'd be to do so. But I think it's worth checking into.

·
Super Moderator
14,507 Posts
Software contract decisions and choices are not up to the mods by any means. This EX site is owned by Verticalscope, who chooses site software, fully their choice. They own other forums as well (examples kawiforums and ducati.ms) and use the identical XenForo platform.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get it, but I'm still not liking this. Don't know about all of you veteran EX500'ers but how many times is this thing going to change. Last time they lost the Wiki!!!

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Yeah, I agree. There is no telling how many times it will change. For what it's worth you can pay $20 per year to become a premium member to be rid of the adds.
I am liking these spoilers

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Click my spoiler button above

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Looks like Robert Plant and John Paul Jones took a hit on my avatar.
But at least ZOSO is still rocking

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
I've only had the chance to take a quick look at the new setup, because I've been busy trying to survive our shutdown here in MA. The last upgrade caused a bunch of issues to pop up, causing more than a bit of effort from the moderator end of it. Eventually, working with the Verticalscope team, things got on track and people got used to the new layout.

There is a thread where members can give feedback directly to the team that implemented the new software.
We Are Live - Community Feedback. You can leave your feedback there, and since they know the ins and outs of the new system, they most likely know something that will help.

We'll be paying attention as mods, and when we see glitches or functionality issues, we'll get those addressed. From my perspective, I see some things I like. I'm optimistic it'll be less problematic than the last system, which had a few persistent glitches that caused some frustration while trying to keep things in order. Hopefully the learning curve will be gentle.

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Looks like Robert Plant and John Paul Jones took a hit on my avatar.
But at least ZOSO is still rocking
I'm guessing that might be a settings issue. With the last changeover we lost the ability to host gif Avatars until an adjustment was made.

EDIT: and we lost them this time too. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
19,162 Posts
The old saw about teaching old dogs new tricks , applies here
Old Dog FOG

·
Registered
503 Posts
Seems all the VS sites will make the changeover eventually. Others I'm a member of have been up over a month now.

Not the biggest fan.

I miss the sidebar on the right that shows new posts in the old format. Now you need to click on "New" at the top right to see if there is, or isn't, any new posts.

There is "Dark Mode" in the drop-down Site Navigation menu (3 dots, top right) that makes a change to a black background if you like that better.

Progress...

·
Super Moderator
14,507 Posts

Please feel welcome to post + or - site feedback, comments, suggestions in the thread above as openly requested by Admin.
Thats what it is there for and he will be SURE to see and respond. Just not sure it'll be viewed by Admin within other threads.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
^ Looks like you snuck across the Canadian border.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The new format did that, not me. But its not wrong. Where I live people generally refer to it as the US border. (I wanted to add a smilie but they've gone missing with the new format.)

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Meh.....I kinda like it actually. If you change to dark mode it's much more tolerable IMHO anyway. Ducati MS did this "upgrade" a few months back, and everyone seems to have gotten used to it now. There were many unhappy with the new format there too if that's any consolation. It's actually easier to navigate, it's just a bit different.

Like editing a post. You have to click on the ellipses at the top right of your post to get the drop down menu to select edit. It's all still there, just in a little different format.........sean

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything is so tight and compacted. Makes it harder to read. And the ads BETWEEN the posts?!?! Teaching an old dog new tricks, yes. But wait until you start losing information that's taken a long time to compile.
It just seems way too crowded. Too much "other stuff" and the posts (which is the sole purpose of these forums!) are the least focused on.

IMO

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
I like that there is a "new" balloon at the top. Clicking on that gets you to the most recent posts. Useful. If you pay attention to the tiny version of your avatar at the upper right, you'll see a dot in the upper right corner of it if you have an alert. Also useful.

It is a bit more compact, but again, it just takes a bit of getting used to. I set my preference to dark mode almost immediately. It makes things less "harsh" as you get white text on a black background. The bright white is a just too harsh and bright to look at for long.

All your "tools" for working on a post are at the bottom. You can still quote someone like before, but it's easier to use the "reply" function as it automatically quotes the member you want to quote. It's less cumbersome than using the quote function, but when you want to quote multiple posts, the quote function lets you do that easily.

Smiley's and image insertion is at the bottom and is actually better now. You can insert an image directly from your computer or paste in a link from an image hosting site. Like I said already, it's easier to navigate and there are some things to make life easier. It just takes a little while to get used to them. Honestly.....I don't even notice the ads anymore. I started ignoring them after the first day over on dot MS.......sean

1 - 20 of 43 Posts