Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
One other thing for all long time members. Go to your profile and update your preferences. This new format has all manner of alerts and push notes you will want to disable. Take the time and go through it. Uncheck all the push notes if you don't want to get an email or text notification of activity.....sean

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Not about making my screen larger. I want the old style back! It's like all the reasons I am on here, for the discussions (threads, posts) are now taking a back seat to ads, ads and more ads.
I get it, this site is expensive to run but I say the mods start looking at other companies to use for the EX500 Forum. I know the CB650 site works really well. Not sure who runs it or how much it'd be to do so. But I think it's worth checking into.
One other thing for all long time members. Go to your profile and update your preferences. This new format has all manner of alerts and push notes you will want to disable. Take the time and go through it. Uncheck all the push notes if you don't want to get an email or text notification of activity.....sean
Test without quotes

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Honestly, we are in an ever changing world, especially in the digital aspect of things. Stuff will change whether we like it or not. I got over the previous site change and just adjusted to the new layout and will do the same with this current change. Far as I'm concerned, the new layout is neither good nor bad, it is just what we have now.
Already over it, I'm going to go drink a beer.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Some changes but certainly not the end of Earth as we know it. Give the new system a chance, click around a bit to get accustomed to find your preferred topic areas, new or the same old stuff ...its all still here.

·
Administrator
3,606 Posts
Hey, here's something to cheer about. With the previous platform we lost notifications for new replies made to the thread while we're typing our own reply. The new system brings that back! No more leapfrogging, confusion and backtracking within threads now. Yay!

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
I tried but, I'm still not liking this new thingy can't tell top from bottom first to last posts ,
Bah

FOG

·
Registered
325 Posts
I generally try to avoid being "that whiner" but after giving it a few days I've finally decided to say something. Not being able to immediately see all the latest posts (on any thread) when you log in is a major fail. Either that or I'm missing something. Somebody please tell me I'm missing something and explain it to me 'cause otherwise this new format is a step in the wrong direction. You shouldn't have to dig around to find the new activity.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
^ Are you clicking the "NEW" button?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yup. It brings up 4 pages of days old posts but not the real new ones. I just discovered a filter (which I haven't touched because I didn't know it existed) so I'll fiddle with that and see if anything changes for the better. I'll report back.

·
Administrator
3,606 Posts
Yup. It brings up 4 pages of days old posts but not the real new ones. I just discovered a filter (which I haven't touched because I didn't know it existed) so I'll fiddle with that and see if anything changes for the better. I'll report back.
When you click the "New" button it should show all the new posts since your last visit, then below that, all the threads that have not been updated since your last visit. Alternatively, you can pull up the complete forum listing, then at the bottom, where it says "New posts, click on "See all new posts"

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I generally try to avoid being "that whiner" but after giving it a few days I've finally decided to say something. Not being able to immediately see all the latest posts (on any thread) when you log in is a major fail. Either that or I'm missing something. Somebody please tell me I'm missing something and explain it to me 'cause otherwise this new format is a step in the wrong direction. You shouldn't have to dig around to find the new activity.
Are you logged in when this happens? I was having that issue before the swap to the new format. If I clicked on “Active Topics” in the old format, all I’d see were posts that were days old. I found later that only happened if I wasn’t logged in. I probably went a few weeks without contributing because it appeared there wasn’t anything new to contribute to.

Later I found if I clicked on “Today’s Posts” I was able to see what was new without logging in. If you’re wondering why this is important, I don’t log in when I’m at work unless I’m on my phone, like now.

This new format is honestly much easier to navigate and has many more pluses than minuses. It just takes a little getting used to. As I wrote before Ducati MS has been on this format now for a number of months. Members there were not fans at first, including me. Some even threatened to leave. So far, everyone is still around that I’m used to seeing and there isn’t any griping anymore.

That tells me there isn’t anything wrong with the format. Once everyone gets used to it, the complaints slow and then cease. Honestly, the only gripe I have is not being able to figure out how to title a response like we could before. Other than that, functions are all still there, just in different places.

There are added features which make posting images easier and multiple quotes easier. Editing posts seems easier too. Also, when I compile a response, I don’t get timed out as quickly as before. All bonuses IMHO....sean

·
Registered
806 Posts
In the filter you mention there is the option to "mark everything as read", especially useful when the software change was made, since the new database does not know which are the posts that you have already read.
I used it recently the change occurred and now when I click on "new" only the posts that were made since my last visit appear.
When you click on the title of the thread, it directs you to the next comment where you left the post and have not read.
:coffee::geek:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I deselected everything in the filter box, then waited until this morning to let some new posts come in so I could see if it made a difference. I'm happy to report that the "new" button now works properly like K-woppa described above. How the filter arrived with weird settings I have no idea. Still not as handy as the old format (because it requires an extra step) but at least it works.

As Red Green used to say (in reference to getting along with the women in our lives), but it could apply to this new format situation, as well. "I'm a man.....I can change......If I have to".

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
You'll get used to it! Just think that it is a new site that you have not visited before.

Hey, if this aging curmudgeon can used to it, anyone can.

Well, we'll see on that.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts