Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys. just a heads up on your oil filter. make sure it isn't rusty on the outside where all the poo gets thrown at it.
had to change mine this morning. quick story. this morning got the bike out to take it for the annual inspection starts runs fine as it should. left it running while donning helmet and gloves.
went back to bike big pool of oil under the engine. WTF it never leaks oil. on closer inspection there is a pin hole in the canister so small it doesn't leak when the engine is stood but on starting the engine it just squirts out.
so a hasty filter change (I always keep spares).
not sure how prone to this they are normally. it was 7 months old only. the only plus point is I found it before riding off could have been catastrophic otherwise. my advice. if yours isn't new check it just in case. oh and keep spares on hand.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The strangest things happen...
A thought. Since the UK atmosphere seems to be angry at all things metallic, how about giving the outside of your filters a spritz of aerosol chassis undercoating? It's rubbery and thick enough to prevent a stone from puncturing or road salt (do they use it there, too?) from corroding its way through.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting thoughtful comment.(y) it's the first one I have had fail ever. yes I did use the bike occasionally over the winter and as a rule change the oil and filter every year. more often than not the filter still looks new when removed. the photo makes the hole look bigger than it actually is .
it's just one of those WTF moment that takes one by surprise and I thought best tell the guys about this just in case there are others out there ready to give way at any moment.

your right about the British weather and roads though, it makes one pea green with envy sometimes when a member posts a photo of the their newly acquired , 30yo abandoned in some back yard bike. and it still looks like new. :love:
but I suppose the poor climate does have some advantages. no man eating spiders. snakes. bears. sharks. alligators wolves or any manner of deadly wild life trying to sneak up on you. on balance I think it's better the climate eats the bike rather than than us. :):):):)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Also possibly a manufacturing defect that didn't show up until the filter had been in service for a while. I had a similar experience after doing an oil change on a pickup truck. The filter was brand new, obviously.

A pin hole in the canister shot an almost impossible to see microscopic stream of oil over to the frame rail where it then dribbled down to an expanding puddle on the shop floor. I had a hell of a time figuring out what the problem was and was very lucky to notice it before I gave the truck back to the customer. Do a million oil changes with a million oil filters and you're bound to discover a few defectives.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
On my V11, the filter is inside the crankcase, with a sealed cover screwed over it. Such a failure would not lose oil, but perhaps a bit of oil pressure.
This is an extremely rare occurrence, but...the EX filter is right in the path of road debris.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah my first thought was a stone chip exposing the thin wall to rust. IDK. I will check the other bike when I drop the oil next weekend. it's been on longer but had less use. but it could have just been a weak filter it does happen.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
There is also rubberized spray paint, which would accomplish the same purpose. Amazing this occurred at home! Usually, such maladies are far away, or at high speed on the motorway!

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
Def an oddball situation there, yorkmaster.

K & N has had some public controversy with leaking oil filters, however these are usually due to erroneously using the end nut to (over) tighten, rather than to remove the filter.. and in doing so either breaking the weld on the nut to body or by displacing the sealing oring. I've used K & N....properly ..on my Ducati 900SS for 26 years now.....and will continue to do so regardless of their smeared reputation. My CBR650 Honda gets OEM filter only, issue free.

Def a "one in a million" defect you've got there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts