Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been having a few problems with my bike. The first one is that once in awhile, the bike will have no power. It will turn gas into noise, but it just doesn't move like it normally does. Did a ride today where I had to hold full throttle for most of it. Then it was smoking big time, and had a couple of big backfires, and everything was good to go. Carbs need cleaning? Spark plugs?

The other issue is that there is a tube at the bottom of the bike that keeps dripping oil all over the place. What's the cause of this?

Hopefully someone can help me out, its my first bike and I've never had any carbed engines!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
usual questions how old is the bike, mileage. how long you had it. maintenance history, all could be important.
from what you describe and the oil leak. off the wall guess worn engine. blocked carbs, valve issues, air leak. spark plugs. leads .coils. take your pick.
the oil out of tube suggest the crankcase is being pressurised. the only tubes hanging down (depending on the bike) are the rad overflow, the battery vent, the tank drain tube, and carb vent. none should leak oil as there isn't any present.
the only tube that could drop oil is from the air filter drain tube. this means there is oil in the airbox. and the only place that can come from is the crankcase vent (attached to btm of the box) if you have large amounts of oil in there and the oil level is no too high the reason is crankcase pressure.
the only surprise is you said once in a while meaning intermittent. normally these things are all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.

It's an 03 with 15k km on it. I got it back in July and it definitely sat for awhile. I put it on the side stand in gravel for about a week, and went I went to ride, the stand was sunk a few inches in the ground, giving a pretty good lean. That is when the oil leak started. I have read that that can cause some oil to get into the airbox, but it has been going on for a couple of weeks. Every time I stop, it leaves a couple of oil drops on the ground.

It feels like a carb is blocked or something, just sort of stutters, then clears itself up. It has been happening since I first got the bike. Since it runs well 95% of the time, I haven't torn the carbs apart yet to take a look, but that is gonna happen soon.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
1. Pull the airbox apart and check for a mouse nest and oil. Clean as needed. 2. Old air filters often fall to pieces. If so, you know what to do. 3. Not many Km, indicating it has sat a lot. If it sat, the carbs def need a really good, thorough, really good, really thorough cleaning. 4. Petcock dirty, clogged, including te screens that go into the tank? 5. Gas filter? It either needs one or it needs a new one.

Reactions: WestChannel27

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have been having a few problems with my bike. The first one is that once in awhile, the bike will have no power. It will turn gas into noise, but it just doesn't move like it normally does. Did a ride today where I had to hold full throttle for most of it. Then it was smoking big time, and had a couple of big backfires, and everything was good to go. Carbs need cleaning? Spark plugs?

The other issue is that there is a tube at the bottom of the bike that keeps dripping oil all over the place. What's the cause of this?

Hopefully someone can help me out, its my first bike and I've never had any carbed engines!
Heya ;
If I may give a couple of thoughts on what I, Personally, Would do, Though many other members are more experienced than I may have more detailed input on the problems, but this is my usual "Something isnt right so I gotta make it all ok" checklist that I have run through about 6 times to date ; anytime something goes awry with my EX; and it's always been very helpful to me.

Oil droppings from tube , Could only be crankcase that I am aware of.
In hand in hand with that "Bad Mixture", poor running with a lot of smoke, Could be dropping too much fuel, overflowing into case. If that Oil level is too high in the sightglass, A good indication the bowls are overfilling into the oil.

Poor running after sitting = prob funky jets,stuck float(s), etc.

1.Get all old gas out of the tank
2. Pull petcock , make sure filter is clean and vacuum in good working order
3. Pull carbs, Take Apart, Clean V deeply, guitar string to all little passages in the brass , replace gaskets and O rings if needed
4.Remove Airbox & clean + New filter
5.Test Battery make sure it has a good charge / Hold charge
6. Pilots out 2.5 turns ; turn out equally as needed if you have some mods
7. New Oil and Filter
8. Coolant Drain
8. Valve Adjustment to spec (Highly underrated maintenance task)
9. New Coolant
10. Start her up

You could take the time to do the Spark Plugs and make sure they are properly gapped, but unless it's a catastrophic event to hurt the electrodes or shatter the porcelain , I think they would be fine

Should take no more than 10 hours or a single weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts