Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil was leaking when i bought the bike from a guy a week ago. Its not a bad leak, a few drops every hour or two. When i bought the bike it looked as if barley any oil was in it. Now that I put it on the centerstand, the oil is above the sight glass line(both of them). It looks like the oil is coming from an exaust pipe or something. Should I drain some oil from it. Also when the bike is running for a while, and I rev it up white smoke comes from the engine. Is that the leaking oil burning?

·
Registered
496 Posts
white smoke isnt fun, i hope your eys are playing tricks..

if you just bought the bike, change the oil you don't know what is in it, or exactly how much. When i bought my bike, it had a terrible leak from the overflow tube. person before me had 7 quarts (yes u read that right!) in it.

white smoke is 'typically' caused by coolant in the combustion chamber. which is never a good thing. i would change the oil, and clean things up. you may be dripping something onto the exhaust or something..good luck..

im sure others will have more advice, this place is a huge help!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I just got my EX a few days ago. The bike ran bad. I couldn't see anything but oil in the sight glass, so I had my wife watch it while I tilted the bike over to the left side. It was almost on the ground before she could see any change!

It had over a gallon in it, when I drained it. I put in the specified amount of oil and it runs great! If you overfill while changing your oil, don't be afraid to drain some out. You don't need to blow any gaskets! You can always change the plugs, too, if you think they might be oil-fouled.

Anytime I get a second-hand bike, I always change the oil, anyway.
Even though my bike (a 2004) only had about three hundred miles on it, the oil I got out was pretty foul!

·
Registered
244 Posts
There's a slight delay for the oil to show in the sight glass as you tilt it off of the side stand, so if you keep tilting until the oil appears you might be tilting it further than you actually had to if you waited a second while it was level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts