Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to motorcycles and I recently purchased a 2004 ex500r that is in pretty good shape.
The only thing I can't figure out, is a small oil or fluid leaking from a large bolt in between the oil level sight glass and the water pump. After start up and running it begins to burn off creating some light smoke off of the pipe below it. I looked through the repair manuel but couldn't find out what this bolt is for or what it does. I didn't want to go messing around with it until I got some feed back on what this might be or spend a bunch of money for a shop to tell me it was nothing.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
That Bolt is a plug, for the main oil pressure gallery. As such it under considerable pressure when the engine is running. You can remove it and apply some sealer to it and re fit it.

FOG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bring this back from the dead!! FOG what do you use to seal it?

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Well obvoiuslly a oil proof sealant. It never has to come off so a real good hard curing one is fine. (JB weld?) really almost anything will do.

FOG

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sweet... Mine has a VERY small leak coming from there. Since it was so little, I never messed with it, but I think I'll try and seal it up at the next oil change since I know what it is now. Thanks FOG.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts