Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm undertaking a valve clearance adjustment and am having serious issues getting the oil pipes out. Everything I've read says its super easy. I'm pulling so hard to the point where it's bending the damn pipe!

Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
each end of the pipes has snug fit O ring oil seal also the pipes are bent in such a way as to keep them in place without having bolts at the end to keep them sealed. after removing the bolts try prising the ends (where the seals are) with flat screwdriver. easing them out of their seats. if you bend one or both of the pipes you have to re-bend them to original pattern to maintain a constant seal. it is possible to do the valves without removing the pipes at all if you just increase the clearance behind the nuts where the pipes run with a blunt tool like round punch. and then use a thin walled spanner on the nuts of the valve rockers.
edit. also make sure when you replace (If the 2nd option is not viable) you make sure the ends click into place to maintain the seals. any gaps will lose oil pressure into the valve case.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
Flex the pipes inward toward the center of the head then they will slip out with 1 finger. Flex not bend

Fog

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flex the pipes inward toward the center of the head then they will slip out with 1 finger. Flex not bend

Fog
This worked, thank you! It appears who ever reinstalled these before me used some sort of sealant... There's gunk all over these o rings. 20210530_090430.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
nice, I buy replacement o-rings for the coolant tubes and have extra o-rings for the oil pipes you mentioned. I have taken them out for clearances in the past and have left them in. I think I like removing them for better access and its not a big deal having new o-rings to install for the completion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts