Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I bought a 2002 Ninja 500R a week ago and haven't had any problems with it until now.

Last night I was coming home after riding it, and while maneuvering around my gravel parking spot I lost my balance and laid it down on its right side (pretty gently). I hit the kill switch, lifted it back up, and parked it without restarting the engine, since i was already home. Today I went out to ride it and the oil pressure light stayed on after I started it. It ran for maybe 10 seconds while I was fiddling with my helmet before I noticed it and shut it off. There's plenty of oil in it according to the sightglass, and nothing was visibly damaged when I set it down. Any thoughts?

I changed the oil/filter 3 days ago to Shell Rotella 15w40 conventional and a Mobil 1 filter, if it matters. It ran fine until I laid it down.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
the oil pump is airlocked. loosen the oil filter, crank until oil starts coming out the filter, tighten the filter and restart. also a thought, the oil pressure sending unit may have been damaged, however i'm not sure which side of the engine it is on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but this is pretty much exactly the same situation I am in now.

I tried the oil filter trick. But the oil pressure light is still on. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
121 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
Did you look yet at the sensor and actually see the wire attached? Is the connection clean? Do you even know where it is?
No, not sure yet, and no :'(

I was hoping for a quick fix when I saw this thread. I don't have that much time to mess with it today. But I was hoping someone could help to point me in the right direction. I should probably pick up a service manual for this bike instead of relying on the forum so much...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Good plan!

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
The manual won't help much But the microfishe will. If you look at the engine block you will see the oil sensor at the bottom in front on the left side. It has a tiny phillips head screw on it.

And do we know if the bike runs? I am assuming it does and you just have a red oil light coming on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
The manual won't help much But the microfishe will. If you look at the engine block you will see the oil sensor at the bottom in front on the left side. It has a tiny phillips head screw on it.

And do we know if the bike runs? I am assuming it does and you just have a red oil light coming on.
The bike was running fine. I was loading the bike up on a trailer on a turning uphill gravel & dirt road. It fell over on the right side while running. I couldn't get it to start right away and I assumed it was flooded. We pushed the bike up into the trailer. 600 miles later I tried to start the bike to ride it home. That was when the oil light came on(like usual) but didn't turn off after the bike started(not usual.)

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Ok I just wanted to make sure you actually had oil pressure otherwise we would be fixing this oil light staying on problem for nothing.

Ok you do your thing and inspect it visually first and if that checks out ill post the diagram so you can make test points and test with a multimeter.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Actually I am recalling back a few years ago someone suggested to take the sensor out and blow it clean and reinstall it and that cleared it. It may even have been my idea who knows.

It can't be too serious worse case scenario replace the sensor. Hopefully the wire just fell off or has a bad connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts