Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike was running perfect before oil change.
Just did an Oil/Filter change at 1,100 miles.
Correct amount of oil, no leaks etc.
However oil light remains on. Switch lead checked, seems ok.
Bike seems to run ok, with no signs of oil pressure lose?
Could it be a faulty switch? Any other thoughts. Dont want to run it
like this.
Any ideas! Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't ride it like that. You just need to burp you baby like they said above.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
no doubt hidden treasures here, now old and requiring some search/browse

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have had, and have quite a few bikes.....Never ever have I ever had pop the filter to get my pressure after an oil change.I've packed my share of oil pumps in cars with grease to get flow but this is a new one to me. All good now that I know the drill :) Thank you Ommyt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have had, and have quite a few bikes.....Never ever have I ever had pop the filter to get my pressure after an oil change.I've packed my share of oil pumps in cars with grease to get flow but this is a new one to me. All good now that I know the drill :) Thank you Ommyt.
Yes, totally agree with "hidden treasures" and the lasting value of previous contributions.
The site's already saved me a ton of money and grief, thank you very much.

But like 97af, I'm a little puzzled that it happened at all! The Japanese wet sump oil system has been
around for a long time, and I can't remember seeing anything like this at any shop or on any bike of mine.

Maybe with wet sump systems, older Harley or Triumph you
might see some weird procedure for priming an oil pump.

But these wet sump systems usually use a trochoid pump mechanism, and creates quite a bit of pressure; just start one without a valve cover on and find out!
So, I don't see how a routine oil and filter change could cause the problem, unless the location of the oil pressure switch
is so poor that it allows it to happen; if so, shame on the engineer who designed that!

I'll change the oil and filter in mine later this week.
Does anybody think there's something I could do to cause the same thing to happen?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Does anybody think there's something I could do to cause the same thing to happen?
Cheers!
Cause the same thing to happen? Nope...however I can make a suggestion to prevent the same thing happening. Prime the filter, fill with oil on the bench prior to install. 1st time oil will be absorbed by filter media, let sit a few minutes, repeat filling/sitting/absorbing 2, 3 times as necessary until media is fully saturated and filter stays full of oil. THEN install. Admittedly install a little messy with a full filter, however...I think you'll notice the oil pressure light going out much quicker than if you didn't prime the filter. I choose to employ the priming method on all motorbikes and cars I deal with.

·
Registered
779 Posts
yes that works fine although a little messy if you fumble a bit screwing the filter on. (yep it does occur) why it happens is a good question. I believe it is caused by a hydro lock in the filter. similar to an air lock in the cooling system if you don't bleed it. unscrewing the filter while the engine is running removes it. a similar situation can be caused if the bike goes over when parked on the side stand. on picking the bike up and starting the oil light can stay on. but if you turn off the engine and let it stand a few mins the light goes off when next started.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Prime the filter, fill with oil on the bench prior to install. I choose to employ the priming method on all motorbikes and cars I deal with.
I'm am and always have been oil filter filler before it goes on. I knew I didn't do anything stupid to cause it and it was fine on the warm up ride before I dumped the oil. I kept calm and just punched up a search on the sight to find out what was up. A little under a 270 mile ride today and its flawless, You guys are the best:)

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
for what is worth: the problem is the oil pump is mounted above the oil level in the engine and must draw oil up a tube through a screen. The pump is clearanced to pump oil not air, the resistance of a oil filter (full or empty) can be more than the pump can overcome. sometimes there is enough oil in the pump to do the job, sometimes you need to help.

FOG

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, new one on me too.
I do prime the filter before fitting, never really thought about why I do it. Just something I was told to do by a wiser man than me.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
for what is worth: the problem is the oil pump is mounted above the oil level in the engine and must draw oil up a tube through a screen. The pump is clearanced to pump oil not air, the resistance of a oil filter (full or empty) can be more than the pump can overcome. sometimes there is enough oil in the pump to do the job, sometimes you need to help.
FOG
However, note this highlighted EX500 arrangement is nothing unique nor unusual at all to motorcycle powerplants. Oil pumps requiring "pickup screens" or "pickup tubes" to reach the sump are routinely found in various Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki applications.

Not the general concept, but something within the EX's specific design execution being the shortfall, allowing steady oil light illumination, and requiring "burping" after a standard, routine oil/filter change? Have never experienced this on any of my Honda's (and various other motorbikes) EVER. Even my "unreliable" Ducati's...start after service, within approx 2-3 seconds pressure warning light goes off. And priming the filter lessens the wait period, reliably, EVERY TIME.

Funny this thread started 13 years ago! :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Okay, changed oil and filter, no problem. Turned on key, no red light! Funny, I didn't notice that Oil Light was inoperative.
Started and ran fine, went for a ride; replaced oil pressure switch at oil pan; will try again next oil change to see how long oil light stays on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts