Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 EX500 that I've been trying to fix up, today was my first startup test and the starter wouldn't turn over and all I got was the clicking noise. I decided to remove the old starter but when I took the Stator cover off to get to the starter all I saw was that one of the flywheel magnets was cracked apart and broken. Now due to my lack of motorcycle knowledge IDK whether I can continue using the current flywheel considering it has all its other magnets and a good portion of the broken one or if I need to replace it and the current stator along with it some advice in the right direction would really be appreciated :)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Wheel
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Hood Aircraft

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
Well you have have gen 1 generator and those are or should be replaced with modified gen 2 units (see my piece in the how too section)
you somehow escaped total destruction so you can run it Albiet slowly till a replacement can be found the issue will be balance.
Try to sources a use Gen 2 wheel, last resort is a new $$$$ one

FOG

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you have have gen 1 generator and those are or should be replaced with modified gen 2 units (see my piece in the how too section)
you somehow escaped total destruction so you can run it Albiet slowly till a replacement can be found the issue will be balance.
Try to sources a use Gen 2 wheel, last resort is a new $$$$ one

FOG
Ok, ill try to find your piece in the how-to section. How much do gen 2 flywheels generally cost?

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,107 Posts
yes, reuse stator, test output prior to putting back into service (after replacing FW)

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
RM Stator in Loveland Co. sells new upgraded flywheels. Last price I saw was $139. Better buy quick before Brandon's inflation sets in.

Here's the 1987-1993 EX500 page. I don't think the flywheels are listed for the price they give.

Reactions: ghostt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up ordering a FW from a UK company called Electrex World now I'm wondering where I should get a Flywheel tool to remove the old one idk the specs for it

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
the flywheel too is just a 18mm bolt. which is the same thread as the spark plugs. go to any auto store and purchase a spark plug thread restore tool for a few bucks.
Hey I never thought till now. a old plug may do the job just break off the electrode

FOG

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
You will need some way of holding the outside of the flywheel so as to keep it from turning. I used a strap wrench. When the bolt is good and tight, coupla ways to do it, but I smacked the end of the breaker bar with a rubber mallet. 2-3 whacks and the flywheel will pop off. No matter if it hits the floor, as it it trash anyway.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well..., 11 posts in, and no one has asked the question. So, almost with an apology to HT, I'll ask.

Where are: the missing pieces of the broken magnet
&
Where are: the orange coatings missing from some of the other magnets?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Even though they are opposite threads, it is clockwise to remove the flywheel bolt and clockwise on the flywheel puller. Sounds odd, but the whole bike is odd.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well..., 11 posts in, and no one has asked the question. So, almost with an apology to HT, I'll ask.

Where are: the missing pieces of the broken magnet
&
Where are: the orange coatings missing from some of the other magnets?
i cleaned up the broken magnet bits no idea where the orange epoxy went

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Since it didn't exit, it's still in there. So, and oil change or two would be in order.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,107 Posts
One Flywheel Magnet was broken now what should I do

begs the question.....what DID you do?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts