Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last summer i got a 500. New battery oil change air filter, ran awesome till September. Died on the highway while cruising randomly. Almost like the wind blew it out lol. Checked gas full. Switched to reserve just in case start up after a couple minutes and kept cruising. Decided to do a carb clean. Ran awesome after for a day or 2. Now the choke on wont high idle when cold. And if the choke is off it dies. I can run it without choke but it doesnt get smooth decent power till a out 6000rpm. Did i miss something in the carb or maybe i need to check valve clearances. Once its over 6000 it rips happily along. Played with the idle screw but unless i have it up at 2000rpm itll idle down and die.

·
Registered
479 Posts
When you say you did a carb clean, just exactly what did you do?

As for valves, yes, they will need checking. The EX-500 is notorious for having the exhaust valves tighten to almost zero in fairly short amounts of time. They, however, are not the cause of your poor running. That is down to whatever happened to the carbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed the carb clean break down on the official page. Full disassembly and sprayed the crap out of everything with carb cleaner. Used guitar string to make sure jets are all clear. Done that process a couple times now. Hoping i didnt miss a step.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Are your pilot screws factory capped still? Or exposed to allow removal? How many turns out are they set? Did you replace the tiny orings?
You make no mention of using compressed air, did you? Real, pro compressed air, not the "air in a can" variety (need 90psi minimum)

Not sure what guide you refer to, but you are being misled by such focus and reliance on pilot jets. True, they must be clear, however there is so much more to a fully clear entire pilot circuit. Note the majority of the circuit is NOT visible, runs within the carb body. The, of course 2 or 3 additional circuits in order to truly proclaim a good job done to achieve push button start, steady idle and throttle reaction. Your symptoms clearly indicate a still blocked pilot circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant find the carb clean guide i used. I saw FOG or someone link a page on one of the other carb issue pages. I had a feeling it was still the carb cuz anything else doesnt make sense. Guess im breaking it down again. Pilot screws were seated then turned to 2.5. Then slightly tweaked while i had it running cuz i did the airbox mod. I was like um that shouldnt throw off the engine that bad.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
you fail to address 2 specific concerns...new pilot o-rings and use of compressed air. Well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh right. No, i had to resort to me blowing or the aerosol pressure from the carb cleaner since i dont own a compressor and cleaned it in my kitchen thanks to covid. Didnt replace any o rings as everything looked healthy otherwise and nobody stressed that detail.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Going back to the original problem. Bike died whilst riding, even with a full gas tank. When you switched to reserve everything started working again as normal? If these statements are accurate then I would say you need to look at the petcock, as it seems lie you may have a blockage in the part of the fill tube when gas enters when the petcock is set to On.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was my first instinct. But i took apart the petcock already. Its all clear. I can make fuel flow nicely just by sucking on the vacuum side. The float bowls are full too so i dont think its starved of fuel that way

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
thread topic "only idles on choke" is a classic symptom of pilot circuit issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know. I just borrowed my dads air compressor. Gonna grab some o rings this afternoon and blow it out tonight🤞

1 - 11 of 11 Posts