Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I live it is possible to ride all year round, except for the really cold spells. I usually like to ride until the temperature gets much below 40 deg F. However, the stock windshield on my EX makes it nearly impossible to ride in any weather colder than 60 F comfortably because it sends a blast of air directly up my helmet. I think this would be an asset in the summer and there isn't much buffeting which is a big plus.

Anyone care to share experiences with aftermarket windshields that cure this problem? I would prolly just switch back to the stock screen in the summer so I am looking for a good cold weather solution. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I trimmed & modified a taller windscreen from one made for a different bike.
Do a search for windscreens & you'll find several topics on this already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrSciTrek said:
I actually did a fair amount of searching before posting but I can't find much in the way of the performance for any of the options out there, particularly for my problem of upward moving air at the chin level.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
pd said:
MrSciTrek said:
I actually did a fair amount of searching before posting but I can't find much in the way of the performance for any of the options out there, particularly for my problem of upward moving air at the chin level.
1st generation: http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,754.0.html
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,212.0.html

My altered screen: http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,361.0.html

Plus you could read through the topics concerning touring mods.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've read some good reviews on the Laminar Lip that you add to the top. It looks kind of funny and isn't cheap but I hear it works very well and is attached with super Velcro so it would be really easy to switch on/off anytime. Because I didn't want to pay $80 + shipping without knowing how well it worked I made a test prototype out of an extra sheet of acrylic I had. It was just as ugly but actually worked really well.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2001ex500 said:
I've read some good reviews on the Laminar Lip that you add to the top. It looks kind of funny and isn't cheap but I hear it works very well and is attached with super Velcro so it would be really easy to switch on/off anytime. Because I didn't want to pay $80 + shipping without knowing how well it worked I made a test prototype out of an extra sheet of acrylic I had. It was just as ugly but actually worked really well.

Thanks
Interesting. Do you have any pics? I have a piece of polycarbonate that I had planned to do the same thing with but I lost my motivation. It looks like the laminar lip has an additional curve that I didn't think I could reproduce.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I tried to take a pic but it doesn't show up to well. Warning: it is ugly and it is a test prototype. I made sure no one I knew saw me testing it ;). Yes, the difficulty comes in that you have to bend it in two separate planes. Few things I learned; You need to have a good way to heat it uniformly (I'm going to try the oven this time). I used a heat gun and wasn't able to keep enough of it soft to make the bends as smooth as I would like. Also a localized heat source can over heat a single spot and cause heat damage(white spot on the right). I chose to mount mine to the windshield screw holes because I didn't trust the Velcro and didn't want to stick on Velcro for a test and have to get it off. Also, most polycarbonates will degrade with UV exposure and get brittle. The sheet I used already was so it tended to crack when I cut it. I got a sheet of Lexan from Home Depot on sale($10 and should fit 2 attempts) for a possible second test and it has UV inhibitors and is much stronger than normal polycarbonate. I wouldn't use anything less for a final version because of the safety implications. And lastly, poly is easy to cut in straight lines, cutting curves is difficult. I tried using a RotoZip tool but was not really satisfied with the smoothness of the cut. I need to find a better cutting method. But it did work very well. The wind blast was greatly reduced and I could turn my head to the side and not feel the wind grab it. The advantage to making one is cost but also you can control how high the airstream comes off and where it hits you. You also have to enjoy the process of making it for it to be worth it. Let me know what you learn or what works for you if you try it.

:)

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts