Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

overall mods, advice welcome

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  kingeric2206 
#1 ·
i live in SC, close to darlington (if you don't know it go ask any nascar person) anyway i want to get my ex 500r looking good before bike week. so here's what's on my "to do" list, and any advice, places to find cheap stuff, walk throughs are more than welcome. (another note i am slightly mechanically inclined, working on cars for a while, and i've done a decent amount of wiring.)

my bike is a 2001 ex 500r

#1 intergrating or changing to pyramid tail lights
the pyramid thing would be easy but i'm broke and cheap so an integration would be great if i could
get a wiring diagram for my bike.

#2 paint
yeah i realize theirs no real help for this, although a friend offered to paint it for free if i visit him, the
problem with that is driving down to Florida

#3 muffler tips
where to find ones, ect

#4 gear
kinda on the subject if anyone out there has a kid that out grew their riding leathers talk to me
(i say kid cause i'm 5'8"ish and 115 lbs. soaking wet)

that's all sorry its so lengthy, and if anyone actually reads this all the way through....well thanks for that.

See less See more
#3 ·
" kinda on the subject if anyone out there has a kid that out grew their riding leathers talk to me
(i say kid cause i'm 5'8"ish and 115 lbs. soaking wet)"

Hey Dad here's one who can use the stock springs.

FOG

#7 ·
CerialPhreak said:
Yeah, saint, you mean slip-ons. Tips are for cars and cruisers. Anyway, sarachu's are good slip-ons that are custom made for the 500 by a brazilian company i believe. You can also get a 2-1 system from muzzy, yoshimura, etc... but you need to re-jet your carbs.
wasn't it said in that huge thread that you DON'T need to re-jet the carbs at all?

#8 ·
Nick D said:
On the turn signal integration (if the wiring is the same from 1st gen to 2nd gen), I made a video for that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAItaiKhcHo

I also made a quick video of the rear fender chop here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMKHpLEZQEU

Any questions, just ask. Sorry if the videos suck :p.
Also, I don't know if I mentioned it in the video - you can get the integrator box at an auto parts store or somewhere with trailer wiring kits for about $10 to $12. I think I got mine at Advance Auto Parts.

#15 ·
i swear that by the end of the night i'll put up pics in color of my bike. as for the cruiser no. i had an old model honda, and a trail bike. i really miss the trail bike. i had those when i was younger and if there are pics in existance then ex g/f's have them and i'm not even going to try and get them back.

#20 ·
ok so all i need now is some decent riding leathers, and mufflers (or slip on's) i'm going down to florida right before bike week to get it painted, till then it looks like the pics with this post (taken today).

custom:
shortened clutch handle
scrapes on mufflers
removal of decals
paint (needs to be redone cause of a slide, swear it wasn't my fault)

intergrated tail lights
fender chop
(those two thanks to nick d)
other than that as far as i know its stock.

[attachment deleted by admin]

#21 ·
Being near Darlington, you can't be far from Carolina Motorsports Park. Check into track day organizations there. You'll learn a lot about your bike and add some riding skills that you'll be hard pressed to learn on the street. Money better spent than on bling. :) Of course, that's JMO.

#22 ·
dad said:
Being near Darlington, you can't be far from Carolina Motorsports Park. Check into track day organizations there. You'll learn a lot about your bike and add some riding skills that you'll be hard pressed to learn on the street. Money better spent than on bling. :) Of course, that's JMO.
i'll check into the motorsports park. as for the bling (withholding alot of sarcasm here so don't take this the wrong way) mufflers/slip-ons i don't even know when that will happen. the mods that i've done/doing have been cheap. painting it is gonna be free i just gotta drive to florida, which i think will give me alot of time to get to know the bike as well... i think its something like a 8-9hr drive.

#24 ·
Looks great! I like it without the decals, too, it looks clean. What did you do to get rid of the Kawasaki logo on the tank? I thought it was under clear coat.

Are you looking for a different sound or different look with the mufflers? I gutted mine and have been happy with the sound, but a set of Sarachus sound about the best of anything I've heard. The previous owner had halfway gutted one of mine and mangled the inner tubing so I needed to do something anyway. For what it's worth, though, I'm still looking to get a set of carbon Sarachus when it's all said and done (as soon as I get an extra $400 (!) saved up, which at this pace will be never :p ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.