Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lesson learned, respect the bike. About 1/2 hour ago I whipped out of the gym parking lot with too much throttle and lowsided. I'm mostly fine, it was fairly low speed and I was in full leathers, scuffed them on the right forearm and hip, got a tiny friction burn on my forearm and a pinhead bruise on my thumbnail (wtf?). Bike was "ridable" the right handlebar snapped off and I lost a front turn signal, ground a little off my upper and lower fairings and the water pump cover, footbrake bent and handbrake snapped off to two finger widths. Ground the hell out of my hand grip and took a little of my rear slider.

Pulled in off into the median as fast as I could and threw the lose parts in my backpack and got the hell out of there, stopped in a parking lot and ziptied my handlebar back on.

Looks like a handlebar, brake lever, and bondo and I'll mostly be back to where I was, I'm glad I haven't painted it yet.

[email protected]$&#%*@#!&

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Glad to see you are riding ATGATT, it probably saved you a major set back ;)

overconfidence suck !

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, looking at the scuff on my jacket's arm I can tell you I would not be at work now but instead a hospital. Just minutes before while I was gearing up I was talking with my buddy about maybe skipping the leather pants once the temps hit high 90's. I *think* today I would have been OK in jeans because the scuff on the hip was so slight, but this just reinforced my resolve to ride ATGATT.

The wierd thing about this is how calm I was during and after. While I was going down everything moved so slow, and it was surreal siting there in the road watching my bike slowly spin down the road on it's side with stuff flying all over the place. I was calm during my car wreck back in high school, but got worked up afterwards, but right now I don't feel too much except disappointed I made such a dumb mistake. Cold tires + cold road = take it easy.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I've seen some mesh pants out there, but I'm not too sure how those would hold for road rash..

Yesterday was pretty warm for our latitude and I went riding with my cowhide chaps with full hip and knee protection, wearing shortsand my bike boots underneath. They are just slack enough so air is going through, the are not hot and they offer proper protection ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Wow. Good to hear you're fine and the bike is reasonably okay. Crashes suck, but looking back and thinking, "Man, that was stupid," makes it 10x worse.

·
Registered
722 Posts
glad you're ok.

that calm you were feeling was from the adrenaline after the accident. Things will seem to slow down and you pop that bike right up with the effects, but it will also mask major injuries and once it subsides you could go into shock. I know you were probably embarrassed and it was probably a minor incident, but take a little time if you crash again to lie still or take a seat for a few minutes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Nick D said:
Crashes suck, but looking back and thinking, "Man, that was stupid," makes it 10x worse.
Yep, this was 100% my fault and 100% avoidable. I'll probably only be out $50 in parts and some more body work than I had anticipated, but that's $50 I could have used elsewhere. :p Hopefully this experience will save be from something worse down the road.

Jason said:
that calm you were feeling was from the adrenaline after the accident. Things will seem to slow down and you pop that bike right up with the effects, but it will also mask major injuries and once it subsides you could go into shock. I know you were probably embarrassed and it was probably a minor incident, but take a little time if you crash again to lie still or take a seat for a few minutes.
If it was worse maybe, but I was pretty aware of what was happening and I knew I wasn't hurt. I didn't hesitate to pick the bike up either, I've done it before and it's not hard, I'm a big guy. Mostly I just wanted to get out of the road before any cars showed up and hit me (road was amazingly empty) and get the **** out of there before cops showed up, don't need any record of this.

Here's some pics of the carnage. I've already bent the brake out and filled in the fairing with bondo (+1 for fiberglass fairings, held up really well). Swapping out a handle bar that has a slight bend in it so it's at least usable until I get a good replacement. The rear slider did its job beautifully, if my cans didn't already look like **** they would be in great shape. I just happened to have my side plastic off for painting, but I can tell they would have been unscathed. I think the water pump cover only has one slide left before it wears through, looking pretty ground down.

(and you can see my crazy black/silver frame, which I'm working on getting all black lol)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
if you'd had a good set of bar-ends , a good portion of the plastic would have had less damage . i wondered if those rear sliders would work or not.....now i know ! lesson learned , right ? ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky#13 said:
if you'd had a good set of bar-ends , a good portion of the plastic would have had less damage .
In theory yes, but the handle bar snapped clean off, so it would have rendered a bar end useless.

I'm really surprised at the lack of damage actually. There was nothing holding the fairing away from the asphalt, full weight of the bike on it, yet the only real rash is only on that edge and maybe 1/4" deep.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Is the V in the frame bent even slightly inward ? <= the part where the slider attach to.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not that I can tell. I'll have to check it over really close and take soem measurements to know for sure, but I don't see any difference by eye.

The upper fairing is ready for paint already. ;) Me and bondo get along great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The same thing happened to my handle-bar. I welded it back in....and trust me, I did a hell of a lot better job than the original factory job! Their welds really suck on the handle bars.

Wanna buy my right-hand mirror? Look in the for sale section. :)

Glad your okay.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks surge but my mirror isn't actually broken, just one of the nuts fell off somehow. And I've got a set of signal mirrors on order from Tricktape for over a month, if they'd get off their ass and send them to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts