Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello eveybody! I'm new on here. I bought a ninja ex500d a few months ago which is in pretty good shape. Recently it started overheating and the fan stopped working. After some trouble shooting I came to find out that the fan works fine but the temperture switch was busted. I bought a used one from a shop that sells parts from old bikes. Got the perfect fit from an old ninja. Now, the fan works, but it kicks in when the temperature needle is just over half way and the needle slowly but surely continues to rise, whether in stop and go traffic or stationary . The temperature gauge should always be just below half and never over half way. It never heated like this before. Any suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hi, just because the switch is from an old Ninja doesn't mean it is working in the same range as the EX500 (it may be) but there is no way to tell if it was your only problem.
there are several checks you could make just to make sure, like is the engine actually getting hot or is it just reading hot.
1. does it cool down once you hit the open road.
2. does the fan stay on once triggered or turn back off a short while after. (in other words does the fan work in conjunction with the gauge.
3. did you get all the air out of the system.
4. is the thermostat working correctly.
5. is air flow through the radiator restricted by road dirt.
6. is it losing coolant.
it could be just down to swapping the sensor or something else entirely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts