Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Overpant opinions

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  bastard child 
#1 ·
I’ve been looking at getting a pair of overpants, I commute to work in my gear and jeans, I have to change into dress pants when I get in. PITA!

What do you commuter’s wear/like?

Thanks

#2 ·
For warm weather I really like the protection & comfort of my mesh jacket (Firstgear brand, from clearance online, needs a little tailoring). It came with a rain liner that would also help in cooler weather.

I would like to find matching pants but it's a lower priority: temp-wise I don't need them for my local trips.

#4 ·
I like my Phoenix 2.0 overpants. I commute about 25 miles to work and they are great over jeans till the temp gets north of 105. after that I pack my jeans and change at the office. Its a PITA but its to fricken hot otherwise.

Actually if your on the bike with mesh pants over shorts its a little weird to feel the heat coming off the engine while riding.

I wear my overpants all for every trip (ATGATT) and I've found that the 2.0's are easy to get in and out of. They have full length zippers on each leg and boot zippers on the back of each calf. Plus two slash pockets that i use for my keys and cellphone. The padding is decent with CE rated adjustable knee pads and hip pads.

The mesh is good when your moving its like your not even wearing them. It would be nice if they had a liner like the jacket does then i wouldn't need any additional rain gear. (Though in Phoenix it only rains a few days out of the year so i just zip in my jacket liner and let the rest of me get wet.

#5 ·
I'm currently going rounds with my gf on getting her some overpants. She says that they'll be to hot and don't look good.

Currently I've been copying all the Get off stories I've read of people who have gone down in jeans. From what i gather, anything over about 30 mph they are no better then shorts (at least shorts wont get ruined when your knee gets scrapped off).

Hopefully if i get a bunch of the stories together with some pictures she'll get the hint and wear them.

I wear mine because i paid a lot for them and I'd feel like a real idiot if the one time I crash is the time i didn't have time(10 seconds) to put on my pants.

PS. Not knocking anyone else's choice in what gear to wear just laying out why I don't ride without my riding pants on.

#6 ·
fourflush said:
I'm currently going rounds with my gf on getting her some overpants. She says that they'll be to hot and don't look good.

Currently I've been copying all the Get off stories I've read of people who have gone down in jeans. From what i gather, anything over about 30 mph they are no better then shorts (at least shorts wont get ruined when your knee gets scrapped off).

Hopefully if i get a bunch of the stories together with some pictures she'll get the hint and wear them.

I wear mine because i paid a lot for them and I'd feel like a real idiot if the one time I crash is the time i didn't have time(10 seconds) to put on my pants.

PS. Not knocking anyone else's choice in what gear to wear just laying out why I don't ride without my riding pants on.
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

Have your girlfriend check the link ^^^. If that doesn't convince her, you're on your own. Fellow I worked with asked me how I could wear gear in such hot temps (we hit 108 last week). I directed him to the link I posted.

I wear the Fieldsheer Four Season overpant for my daily commute. Available in colors other then black (I went with silver) and they are easy on and off. Very comfortable for my 60-mile roundtrip commute. My SO wears FirstGear HT Air overpant. We both have the mentioned commute until we move later in the month.

#7 ·
Wow... I just looked at the pics, & read the last section.
Will read the whole thing when it's not bedtime.

Thank you for posting that... I might be able to use that in class somehow, some when.

#8 ·
I'm passing that link around. That's exactly why I want to cover up the legs. I don't feel confident in Jeans and its only a 10 minute commute.

BTW, I'm asked all the time why I put on that heavy jacket helmet gloves, and change into jeans and boots when its 95 degrees out! "It takes you longer to change than get home" There are anywhere from 6 - 12 bikes parked here at work on any given day, There is only one other person I have seen wearing a riding jacket and most just roll in there work clothes which includes dress shoes and half wear a helmet. I've see at least one in scrubs (kind of like light pj's for those who don't know) riding off at a good clip.

I like my skin where it is!

Thanks guys, I'll be checking out your suggestions and picking up a pair this week.

#10 ·
mhess19 said:
I'm passing that link around. That's exactly why I want to cover up the legs. I don't feel confident in Jeans and its only a 10 minute commute.

BTW, I'm asked all the time why I put on that heavy jacket helmet gloves, and change into jeans and boots when its 95 degrees out! "It takes you longer to change than get home" There are anywhere from 6 - 12 bikes parked here at work on any given day, There is only one other person I have seen wearing a riding jacket and most just roll in there work clothes which includes dress shoes and half wear a helmet. I've see at least one in scrubs (kind of like light pj's for those who don't know) riding off at a good clip.

I like my skin where it is!

To extend that point & combin it w/ other info here:

The time & trouble to don protective gear is FAR less then the time, trouble and pain to heal.

#12 ·
fourflush said:
Yeah, jeans aren't gonna do jack. :) I know!

The time & trouble to don protective gear is FAR less then the time, trouble and pain to heal.
Too true. It took two weeks before taking a shower stopped hurting. After three I still had scabs trying to form (petroleum jelly coating - don't let it dry out and scab!) and soreness to the touch. It's worth wearing good pants.

[attachment deleted by admin]

#14 ·
I have worn snowmobile bibs in the cold weather. I hate to admit it, since I know better, but in the summer I wear jeans most of the time. And yes, I have been down in them, but you sort of forget after awhile. ;)

I have no excuse and need to get something that is better protection. There is so much out there that I have been overwhelmed with choices. I have thought about "Draggin Jeans" I know a couple guys that have those.

I do have a Tourmaster jacket with armour and an armoured Teknic mesh jacket for summer and a leather jacket. I wonder if most gear has universal snaps on the pants or if you have to get the same brand, if you want them to fasten together? (I guess that is a pretty dumb question!)

#15 ·
I'm in ex-dsmr's camp. I got JR Alter-Ego last season. Made a big difference about how confident, and comfortable your ride is.
I used to commute to work in early April in Ontario or late September with just Levi's & Stanfields to keep the frostbite off @ 110kph. Riding pants make a HUGE difference; and of course there is that protection thang... ::)
Would say they need more pockets, and an actual belt (as opposed to velcro~elastic tightener). The zipout outershell strip for extra-cooling is a very nice feature in the dawg-days of August.

#16 ·
I picked up a pair of Olympla Airglides this weekend. They fit great over my slacks and should do the job not to mention they feel much better than jeans when riding.

I'm going to go to leather when the cold roles in but enjoying the breeze for the time being.

#17 ·
I'm asked the question of how can you wear that leather in this heat everyday, or why the helmet and gloves, or heavy denim jeans and boots. i get asked from the harley riders all the time you look hot, want to put your coat in my saddle bags, h*ll no i don't i like my skin the way it is. besides i like my tattoos as well. that article is a good one i sent it to everyone i know, i fully agree spend the money buy good quality gear that will save your ugly butt. i might not know each and everyone on here personnally, but i would miss you if you weren't on here to talk to. i think we should all send that article to anyone and everyone we know. i'm off on a tangent so i appolagize, but just wanted to put my coment on the article down.

Bastard Child

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.