Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to work this morning, minding my own business. I came to a left handed turn at a three-way intersection(like a T on its side) I enter the turn countersteering like normal squeeze a little brake(like 2 finger just to add some friction) then all of a sudden averything just comes down like I was pulled to the asphalt. Hit the ground with all force onto my shoulder then I slide on my shoulder, faceshield/helmet, knee, and foot which is trapped under the bike. I finally stop and roll over trying to unpin myself, and a homeless man helps get the bike shutoff and off the top of my leg.

Another guy shows up to call the ambulance while I try to call my mom. Then the 2 guys move my bike onto the median like concrete pad, and I take of my gear and lay down. 2 police cruisers, a motorcycle policeman and 2 fire&rescue trucks pull up. I'm guessing all the guy said was a sportbike wrecked, so they probably came to "clean up". They check me out and calm me down. At this point the only thing that hurt was my shoulder so I tell them I don't want to go in the ambulance since it was obviously not on the way. They tell me that now I need to remove the bike and myself from the area since i'm not that bad off, I putt along in first&second gear about a mile to work, park, go in tell them I got in an accident and lie down. My mom shows up about the time all the pain sets in.

At the hospital it takes about 4 hours and painful xrays to determine a chip fracture on the top of my left foot and a severe contusion on my left shoulder(which hurts worse than the foot) severe road rashed knees.

My gear held up well, my Pheonix 4.0 saved my body and has little abrasion so it's reusable, my Atomic 2.0 gloves have a small tear on the top of my right glove which must've been dragged by my limp body, my jeans are torn in a few places which hurts because they were my favs, boots are rashed a bit at the toes, and my scorpion exo-400 is done since it was in the impact and the left side is rashed to hell and back. The bike has some small rashes and a bent clutch lever, thats it. I'd rather my body be fine and my bike be damage, but since I'm hurt I like the fact my bike isn't.

Best I can figure is I hit the speed plane where countersteering physics didn't work, so gravity took hold if thats possible, if not I'm not sure what I did.

Gonna have to do a lot of thinking since my parents are freaked out even more now, so I might give up riding because I don't like them to worry. Surprised I was able to ride the bike to work with a broke foot.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Sad to hear this :(

Were you using riding pants ? My crash is what convinced me to go ATGATT

You might want to go take a look back on that corner, there may have been some grit, oil or something like that..

Hope you heal quick and well :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry to hear it but glad you're mostly OK.

What boots were you wearing? Just wondering if different gear could have saved you some hurting. Your knees would probably be fine with just Icon knee protectors or something. (I don't mean to sound preachy or rag on you when you're down, just throwing some ideas out there, wondering if the end result could have been less painful.)

You didn't get a ticket? I always thought they like to get you for reckless driving or what not when this stuff happens.

And lastly, don't give up riding! A minor incident like this can be just the wake up call needed to ride more carefully, you will be a better rider from here out.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6" steel toed boots, im thinking my foot got bent and chipped from the plate, but mightve been worse without.

my jeans werent the best and I'll be looking for overpants.

I don't really want to give it up but i don't like making all my loved ones worry, my descision will take longer than today to decide.

^ it was early morning so it might've been "dewy" or mightve been some marbles in that area.

I didnt get a ticket because I didnt do anything wrong....other than dump it. was going less than speed limit, signaled my turn. had helmet, had insurance, sober, removed crash vehicle from the intersection.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Jason, sorry to hear that you crashed,man.Hope you heal up fast.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yea my best is marbles or gravel on the road. I have noticed intersections tend to build them up just slightly off line of the mail flow of traffic. The places where cars never drive, and it does no take much speed to go down on marbles. I did it on my R6 doing less then 5mph. One second you are riding, the next you are on the ground, and it is just that fast. I have learned to really pay attention to where traffic flows through a intersection and to stay on line with that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea probably was, glad i wasn't going faster & also thankful the homeless dude was there to help me. I felt bad I didnt have any cash to give him, and he was gone after I left the hospital.

My parents are mad I refused the ambulance, but at the time I wasn't hurting bad, and I wasn't bleeding. Also everyone thinks I am crazy for riding away with a broken foot, but I didn't know and it didn't hurt til long after I had parked.

I'm glad I had shoulder pads in my jacket or i mightve broken my shoulder or collarbone. Really mad I have to buy a new helmet, i really loved the one I had, plus I dont like spending that much money again, but I know I have to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts