Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't be riding for a few months.

I was behind a black vehicle going about 35 in a 40 zone. I was on an extremely wide two-lane road (5 or 6 cars can fit side-by-side), with only a small segment where you can't pass (and that's going over an out-of-use railroad). I looked ahead, didn't see any cars coming, and sped up to about 55 to pass. Once the turn straightened out I saw a truck coming at me and thought it was close, so I sped up further to 70 to finish my pass sooner (since I was already mostly past the car I didn't try slowing down). I checked my mirror to make sure I was far enough past the car to get over, glanced back at the truck coming at me, checked my mirror again and saw the car in it, so I swerved back into my lane. Unfotunately, I swerved too hard. I thought, I'm not gonna make it. So I slammed on my brakes, trying to slow down as much as I could for the imminent impact of hitting the curb I was headed for.
I don't remember hitting it, but I remember lying on the ground on my right shoulder and sliding through the grass. I was telling myself to breathe since I had the air knocked out of me. Then I remember hearing myself moaning. I tried to move my legs and I could, and that was all I really cared about. After that I tried to stay still, wincing at the tremendous pain in my lower back. Three people came over to me, one man prayed for me, another was my friend, and another was the director of the school board of the district I attend.
Fortunately for me, I crashed about 300 yards from a fire station, and they showed up in no time. Then the ambulance showed up, followed by the police. And I was rushed to the hospital, about 10 minutes away. No painkillers. They didn't give me anything for the pain until I had been lying in the ER for about 20 minutes. That wasn't fun. The only thing that bugged me (besides the pain) was the police asking me questions when I could still barely take deep enough breaths to breathe.

They did some x-rays, did a CT scan, and found out I had 4 minor fractures and 1 major one in my lumbar region of my spine. But they were on the inside. I also had one minor rib fracture; 6 fracture total. Surgery wasn't needed. I'm in a brace for 3 months, enjoying my percocet (sp?).

Every time before I get on a bike, I ask myself, "If I crashed today, how much would I want to get hurt?" So I always ride in full gear. I'm glad I do. My dad was saying, "Your helmet hardly has a scratch on it. You can just fix it and use it again." But I'm saying I've done my research, and that's a used helmet, so I'm buying a new one. The gloves, boots, and jacket I was wearing are all still in perfect shape. My jeans are only torn because they cut them off in the emergency room. They cut off my orange vest at the site, along with my sweatshirt and t-shirt underneath. The only visible injury I sustained was a minor scrape on the top of my wrist in an area my jacket didn't quite cover.

For about a day I assumed I flew through the air and broke my back landing. Then my dad told me how the bike looked, and the windshield has been obliterated. I'm betting I flew off over the handle bars and broke the windshield with my stomache, which also knocked the air out of me and knocked me out. Hitting the ground woke me up again. It seems that my abs played a pivotal role in protecting my back.

Another thing about where I landed; it hadn't been tilled. My sister went back a few days later and said that dirt was plenty hard. Not to mention that it has tall reeds standing in it everywhere, implying it hasn't been touched in a while. But it's still smoother to slide on than cement.

I've definitely learned a lot from that crash. For one thing, I'll probably never pass a car in a single-lane road again while on my bike. I didn't think much of it at the time because I always pass on that road in my car since it's so wide and usually empty. Luck wasn't with me that time. I've also been looking for jackets with stomache pads, but I've yet to see such a thing. I'll probably buy a separate vest with stomache pads to put on over or under my jacket.
My biggest mistake was trying to pass in that turn in the first place, even though the road markers say you can. My second mistake is thinking that oncoming truck was going to hit me. Given the width of the road and of my bike, I could've stayed in the opposite lane and the driver could have moved over a little and I would have had plenty of clearance.

And the bike; it seems more like costmetic damage than anything else. It apparantly flipped end-over-end. The front fender and headlight region is mangled and the tail-light is gone. And underneath it there's a dent in one of the headers (or whatever they're called on motorcycles). The left handle-bar broke off too. The forks might also be bent. All the fluids drained out when it crashed. But based on appearances, it looks fixable. Given the circumstances, it turned out pretty well.
Basically, I'm just not going to do anything stupid like that again.

I just got home today after crashing Thursday, but I'll put pics of the bike up soon.

·
Registered
722 Posts
ouch that sucks, and you just finished your MSF too. :( Hope you get better, also hope you're able to saddle up again. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry to hear it. At least you're mostly OK and still planning to ride again. :)

DarkNinja75 said:
I've also been looking for jackets with stomache pads, but I've yet to see such a thing. I'll probably buy a separate vest with stomache pads to put on over or under my jacket.
The Icon Field Armor looks tempting.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It's something that I don't wish to happen to anyone

Get well soon and follow the doc's advice.

For that luck statement, well, if you look on the bright side, you're still here to talk about your experience

Cheer up, it will help you heal faster :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
wow that's a very unfortunate story and I'm sorry to have read it friend :(

You should consider yourself extremely lucky however, which I'm sure you do.
I don't know how long you have been riding so I don't want to risk sounding paternalistic offering any advice or "what you can take away form this" but I will say if anything, you should always know what your back up plan is. Not so much to go "mmkay, if xyz unexpected comes out I can go there" --- its just a subconscious thing to do thats very easy if you just adjust your perspective.

I view every maneuver I do as a chess move. And in this city (san francisco) filled with literally completely incompetent and braindead and fully irrational drivers - I try to plan things as methodically as possible.

Lastly, when you make a move, mean it. If I do a pass, I make sure they see the "flammable" decal real quick before my muzzy torques way the hell past them, and since I know I have the muscle, I know they aren't in my mirror any more.
(I was kidding about the "make them see my decal" thing, I'm a dork :) )

Anyway buddy, important thing is your alive, all your parts work and your bike isn't out of commission.

Expect the first couple of weeks back on to be a little sketchy, I was doubting my confidence a lot after I went down, for unrelated things. Just remember to really feel at one with your bike and the road and never trust anyone. Ride as though you are invisible.

Ride safe and ride hard.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's a pretty nasty crash. Glad to hear you're alive and planning on riding again.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear you're relatively okay.

Is insurnace covering your bike or writing it off? Will we be seeing another street fighter/ghetto bike on the boards :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Royson said:
Glad to hear you're relatively okay.

Is insurnace covering your bike or writing it off? Will we be seeing another street fighter/ghetto bike on the boards :)
Insurance was liability only, so I'm paying for the repairs. It shouldn't be too bad though.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the pictures.

Hospitals are fun. More so than coffins at least.

And a bunch of angles.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It looks like a lot of work from here :-\

there's also a part of your frame that's missing at the back..

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Thanks for sharing the experience.

Glad you didn't decide to keep in that lane & hope the truck would move over... if he didn't... head-on at 70... bad.

Hitting the windshield w/ body reminds me that my 1st bike ('79 Yamaha 500 twin) was a highway commuter so I got a windshield that mounted with plastic or nylon machine screws (small bolts).

My '05 has steel screws/nuts for windscreen, mirrors & fairing.
Should we replace the steel w/ the nylon?

Seems like letting the fasteners break might reduce damage to bike & body alike.

If you have any experiences or expertise with such please share.
I think this should be a new topic... so will start one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Buy some lottery tickets because you are one lucky rider.
My wife is an ER nurse and I hear some awful stuff about unlucky riders, like the 20 year old on a gixxer this week who slammed into a car that u-turned in front of him. He didn't make it out alive.
Your young body will heal quickly. Not sure about your EX. Don't be surprised if the frame is bent.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
2 dogs

·
Registered
267 Posts
That sucks, but if you can walk away from it (or get carried away, I guess), then it's a-okay.
How'd you like those Cheng-Shen tires? I haven't seen anyone on this site recommend them but I've got them on my CB360 and love them. I wondered what they'd be like on the 500.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sheesh - those are some sad pics man :(

I don't know that I'd fix that. I mean I hope that's not irritating to hear, but you might be better off just getting another bike :/ - you might want to sell that engine if it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, or taking it out and doing something crazy to it.

Just my $00.02

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tires seemed just fine. I don't have anything to compare it to, but they worked for me.

I've looked into it, and all the new parts required for the bike run will run me about $800. And I can probably find better deals on ebay. With that in mind I'm going to fix it up instead of getting a new one. The basic damage is; front and rear fenders, directionals, exaust, instrument cluster, oil pan, left handlebar, dent in the tank. It looks gruesome, but it's not bad. For example, the sides of the bike are unscathed, and the seat is just as good as before I crashed as well. All the main mechanical components look good too.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Good luck with your new project, if you need help, we're here ;D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah it looks rebuildable. Take a little work but worthwhile I think to keep another 1st gen on the road.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
DarkNinja75 said:
The tires seemed just fine. I don't have anything to compare it to, but they worked for me.

I've looked into it, and all the new parts required for the bike run will run me about $800. And I can probably find better deals on ebay. With that in mind I'm going to fix it up instead of getting a new one. The basic damage is; front and rear fenders, directionals, exaust, instrument cluster, oil pan, left handlebar, dent in the tank. It looks gruesome, but it's not bad. For example, the sides of the bike are unscathed, and the seat is just as good as before I crashed as well. All the main mechanical components look good too.
Just looks like a good opportunity for some custom work and parts fabbing to me :p. Glad to hear you came out fully functional even though you're a bit damaged. Be careful with that back. There's not a whole lot you can do but just take it easy and rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
lol thats hilarious (not the crash) i have the Cheng Shins on my 74 CB360 as well... didnt gett much riding time on them casue i scored my 500 off a friend soon after buying them...

Glad to hear your ok (matter of speaking anyways) hope for a speedy recovery... i didnt look at teh post date so i might be way off...

-Dent

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hope you heal up quickly and yeah percosets are nice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts