Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a question somewhere asking if anyone painted their windscreen, not sure if it was here?

Rather than replace the black plastic trim piece on the lower edge of the windscreen, I painted the area. I cleaned the inside thoroughly after removing the rubber mounting studs. I had some r/c car paint specifically made for polycarbonate, that would do and I bet Fusion would work as well. If you wanted to get fancy, polycarbonate body paint comes in jars for airbrushing and bristle brushing.

I used a piece of posterboard taped to the outside as a painting guide. I drew a centered arc, and worked the spraycan paint inward from the edges of the inside. I made 4 coats, looks opaque enough to hide the wiring nest like the old plastic bit did. The paint was a few years old with a dodgy nozzle, but I got a good graded edge effect. Black, it probably won't be noticed; maybe use a trim color or masked design for better visual impact next time?

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
That turned out really nice, good job! That even looks like it would work to just paint the whole thing, as opposed to someone having to buy an aftermarket piece for their bike.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I may have to do that

·
Registered
192 Posts
i did one of those for my father's track cbr... its got his numbers in bold red on the underside (which i made stencils for...) and then did a black overcoat... it looked bada$$ on his bike which is black and red

·
Registered
179 Posts
That looks good man. I was thinking about using some of the Duplicolor Metalcast paint with a little adhesion promoter. It's kind of like a candy that comes in several different colors including smoke. you'd still be able to see through it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The inside of my screen already had some weird tar-like paint on it, so I roughed up the outside with some sand paper. First I used an adhesion promoter that works with plastic, and followed that with some duplicolor shimmery sparkle stuff (see below). The duplicolor consisted of a base coat, shiny layer, and clear coat. It's shown no negative signs of wear as of yet, and all with Wal-Mart paint.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts