Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here ever paint or powdercoat their frame to a silver/chrome? i saw a gpz on youtube with it done, pretty sweet lookin. just another one of those things to break up all that black.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
well the first or 2 first years, the frames were painted grey, then they painted them black.

Look in the let's see your bikes thread, you'll see a couple ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Frog said:
well the first or 2 first years, the frames were painted grey, then they painted them black.
Don't forget the in between years when they couldn't make up thier minds. My 91 is black on the left and silver on the right. :p

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
are you serious ??

Got a 1990 and it's all black ???

·
Registered
261 Posts
Frog said:
are you serious ??

Got a 1990 and it's all black ???
Left:

Right:

And my fav, the rear:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
who in their right mind would've taken that out of the Stealership ?!

Are you sure it's not some 'upgrades' from the previous owners ?

I seriously hope you son't have 2 half frames welded together.... that would suck big times... :-\

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
damarble said:
Don't forget the in between years when they couldn't make up thier minds. My 91 is black on the left and silver on the right. :p
If you didn't have pictures I'd say you were a lunatic. That is insane and hilarious all at once. That even looks like the factory paint on both counts, I thought at least one side would look like spray paint or something different.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Frog said:
I seriously hope you son't have 2 half frames welded together.... that would suck big times... :-\
The welds would probably be stronger than the frame, so as long as they're lined up it wouldn't be too bad. I can't imagine someone would weld two together and not paint it, though :p.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nick D said:
I can't imagine someone would weld two together and not paint it, though :p.
Wouldn't it qualify as the 'Bama way ;) :D ;D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Frog said:
Nick D said:
I can't imagine someone would weld two together and not paint it, though :p.
Wouldn't it qualify as the 'Bama way ;) :D ;D
maybe, my truck is painted white on the front with a black bed. to be fair I got in an accident adn had to get a bed from a junk yard and that was the only one. no way was i paying money to paint it white again.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ Oh yeah, we get a lot of multicolored cars here, with our winter and calcium they put on the roads, every cars rush within 4 years no matter what. But that's the first time I see a multicolored frame no matter what vehicle lol

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nah, it's missing some duct tape ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nick D said:
That even looks like the factory paint on both counts, I thought at least one side would look like spray paint or something different.
I'm 99% certain it's factory. If you pull the plastics off you can see where the silver paint ends just behind the fairings.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Was that an 'option' or did it just happen to be in the paint booth when they ran out of black ???

I can't believe this frame wasn't sent out to their spare parts warehouse...

What was quality control doing ?!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm just hypothesizing here, but this is what I think happened.

Kawasaki sends down the call to stop making x color bikes with silver frames. Black frames are in. The plant manager looks at his parts warehouse and sees x,000 silver frames and plans to build xx,000 new bikes. The paint shop gets an order to repaint all the silver frames black so they can be used, no harm, no foul.

3:25 PM on Friday (time and day changed to reflect U.S. standards) Johnny Painter sees what time it is and thinks, "I can get one more frame before work is over." The paint starts slinging and the whistle sounds at 3:30 PM. Only half the frame is done, but JP has big plans with the misses, they've got front row tickets to the WWF Sumo Royal Rumble and he can't be late - she loves to see Hulk Ho Chin wrestle. Glancing at the finished side he thinks, "Okay, she's done, gotta go, I'll return it to parts on Monday."

Saturday morning rolls around. Maintenance needs to paint some parts, so the frame gets sent back to parts, unfinished. As the frame goes through production no one notices the paint error until it's the bike is complete. When it gets to the dealer, they notice it during setup and are reluctant to sell it as is for fear of taking a price cut for an irregular bike. Two days later a young lady walks in looking for a Ninja. Having one brown eye and one blue eye since birth she sees the multicolored frame of that Ninja and knows it was meant to be. She and the bike both have their subtle differences, but they were made for each other. They have a long and meaningful relationship, but a few years later she has a chance to move and get a big promotion. The Ninja is sad, but tells her that it's better that she goes. The Ninja says that it will never forget her.

The bike changes hands a few times, each owner noticing the frame but not seeing it as a big enough problem to be remedied. It finally makes it to damarble's care and he's kind enough to show it to everyone so we can point and laugh. :D 8)

That's just one possibility, though.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nick, you should be a writer... *Sob* what a beautiful story, I feel sad for the bike's loss :'(

·
Registered
348 Posts
Man. That bike has seen better days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts