Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just out of curiousity has anyone painted there frame. if not do you think it would be hard to take everything out and put back together. i enjoy doing that kind of stuff but have no experience in doing so. do you have to do alot of tinkering or just make sure everything is put back the way it came out. i envision a nice glossy cherry red with white frame might look nice. i dont even have an ex yet and i am already dreaming about it :'( .

·
Registered
169 Posts
From my experience with painting metal, you are planning to spray the coats on, right? In which case, if I were going to do it, I'd isolate the frame from the rest of the bike, paint it, then put it all together again. If you're lazy, you can probably just tape off stuff and paint only the part visible to the public.

People have torn these bikes down to the frame before, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Excellent idea you got there!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Many racers have to perform this every year ;)

FOG used to get the engine/tranny off in under 10 minutes during his racing years.

I never did it myself, but they make it sound easy.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Frog said:
Many racers have to perform this every year ;)

FOG used to get the engine/tranny off in under 10 minutes during his racing years.

I never did it myself, but they make it sound easy.
Thats true but remember thats on a race bike sans all the road gear in the way.

FOG

·
Registered
216 Posts
I did this over the winter and it was not too difficult. The hardest part of reassembly is remembering how the wiring harness and cables are routed. Take lots of pictures before you tear it apart and you should be good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
remember i know absolutely nothing about bikes and/or painting. i am a handy man though and wouldnt mind taking the time to do it correctly. if i just label all the wires and keep all the bolts organized i should be good, right.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Pictures and/or video recording is a great addition but the basic rule is : Take your time and keep it organised.

You can count on us for helping too ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, if i get an older bike(hard to find used bikes in hawaii) i will definitely go with the red white look. that would look nice with matching rims. do you need to sand the frame or just paint right over?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would actually take picture of precisely where the cables and wiring harness are routed. Yes also mark the connectors. It took me a while to figure out exactly how the harness was routed and secured to the frame. Also took a few tries to get the throttle cables right. When you get old like me your memory goes all to hell.

The frame needs to be cleaned and sanded. I wet sanded it with 320 paper. I prefer wet sanding because the paper lasts much longer and you end up with a smoother finish. Take your time on the sanding and do it thoroughly. If you miss the corners you will have paint flaking off. If you are really ambitious you could also get the frame powder coated.

I bought a small powder coating gun to do the small parts - things like handlebar risers, kickstand, etc. The powder is much tougher than paint and adhesion is much better.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill stop by the local paint shop and see how much a project like that would cost. thanks for your guys help

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Your frame is powdercoated, of course you have to sand it first. Lots of angles so I usually have them blasted with media (not silicone carbide.)

Then you can have it powdercoated any color you want. You can paint it, of course, but it isn't going to be any more money to have it powdercoated, if the painter does all the right prep, several coats of primer, base coat and clearcoat, it might actually cost more to have it painted. If you do it yourself, you can save some money but good paint costs more money than powder and you are going to use more of it.

G

·
i cant imagine a shop charging more than a few hundred bucks to have it painted. that is only if you use a generic color. my fairings have been repainted a generic black(previous owner) and he said each piece was only around $200 to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts