Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen quite a few motorcycles parked on sidewalks. Both on street sidewalks, but mostly on parking lot type sidewalks, the kind in parking lots near building entrances . I often see motorcycles parked on sidewalks outside of restaurants, bars, stores and other businesses, and I was wondering if this was normal in your area. I did a search for state laws regarding this, but found nothing. I would like to be able to park on the sidewalk, especially if I knew I was going to be parked for several hours where parking lot traffic is heavy. But I'm not interested in getting parking tickets. :p

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
In Wisconsin, parking a motor vehicle on a pedestrian pathway is illegal. pretty sure that's the same everywhere really. the REAL question is how well are they enforced...

in my town, 8/10 times you'll get ticketed. i personally stay in the parking lot. i don't have money to give away to the city at will...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ydant said:
Illegal in DC - same for scooters, but they tend to let them get away with it.
A while ago I saw a scooter parked and locked to a bicycle rack outside a grocery store! :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If they have a area for bicycles I will put my bike there, otherwise I don't park on the sidewalk.

I however will park in the odd shapped area at the end of a row if applicable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I park on the sidewalk at two locations. But both locations it's common for Motorcycles to occupy the sidewalk, both spots are in plaza's.

One spot is a local coffee house, and they also have outdoor tables to set at and sip coffee and talk.

I'm a regular at the coffee house so it's like a "preferred parking spot"

If I can't park on the sidewalk there, I make sure I take an end spot so people can see my bike parked there BEFORE they try pulling into the "empty" parking spot.

Businesses should put a scooter / bike space close to the handycap spots, maybe it would encourage more people to ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
slightly off-topic, but one of the tiny shops in my area recently ripped out their blacktop in favor of a concrete lot. it makes it a lot less frightening in the hot summer sun to park there ... kind of like parking on a concrete sidewalk.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I heard that in NYC if you're under 50cc's, you can park on the side walk--you also don't need to plate it if it's that small. I knew a lot of guys that had 200cc Vespas and they'd attach their license plates on with Velcro. That way, when they parked on the side walk, they could take their plates with them. The cops were too lazy to check the displacement out.

At OSU in Ohio, you can't park at a bike rack unless you're a bike, period. In the city of Columbus, I see motorcycles up on the sidewalk often-- I only do it at two places in town: Iron Pony, where it's encouraged; and the North Market because parking is too expensive.

Parking in WV isn't really an issue, so I've never even considered parking on the sidewalk. I knew someone who used to put their Vespa on the sidewalk in Morgantown, but all day long idiots would sit on it-- If I want respect shown for my bike and to show people it's not a toy, I park it in a real spot. Otherwise you'll get a lot of Gomers and retards who'll sit on it and do mind-meltingly dumb things like, get their photo taken on it, or let their child climb around it. Trust me, I've seen it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I park on the sidewalk in NYC and around NJ all the time, it just depends on the situation, if no pqrking is available then I go for it, but if there is an open parking lot around the corner I'll just shoot there.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I can't say I've ever really even thought about parking on a sidewalk. I've seen what happens when tow trucks strap up motorcycles so there's no chance I'm playing that game. I've parked in open areas at the end of parking rows before, but usually only if there are several bikes already there. Otherwise I just find a regular parking spot and park with the bike closest to the entrance to the spot so that it's readily visible.

The only bikes I see on sidewalks around here are people that park in front of their workplace. There are just a very few of those.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I got pulled away mid post last night so I figured I'd explain a bit. I don't park on curbs here because I live in small town USA, there's never that far to walk. That, and I could use the exercise. When I mentioned the towing thing, that's because I live a short jog from the 16th largest city in the U.S. (insert laughter - you'd get it if you were from around here). Over there they think that parking enforcement is the new career frontier. There's never anywhere to park, and if you get outside a parking spot (rear tires in a yellow zone) or your meter comes up while you're doing your business (main thing that comes to mind is the time it takes to pull permits at the city building) they will ticket you in a heartbeat and if the man with the tow truck rolls by it's likely your car will be gone.

But - one of the bikes I see parked on the sidewalk is in that very city, albeit in a less populated portion, and I have seen it there unmolested on several different occasions. Who's to say what they'll allow?

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
It just tickles me, that these folks that take advantage, are the same one that would be the first to decry , breach of courtesy on the road.

I'll explain for the non English understanding minority: You want to be treated just like any other Motor vehicle on the road, yet expect special privilege at the same time. Ballsey.

FOG

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The Harley guys park on the sidewalk in front of a few bars around here.'Course they don't have to have mufflers or DOT-legal helmets either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FOG said:
You want to be treated just like any other Motor vehicle on the road, yet expect special privilege at the same time. Ballsey.

FOG
Of course we want to be treated like any other vehicle on the road... but will we ever be?

Would I like special privileges? Yes. Do I expect[/color] them? No. Will I demand them? No. Will I look into local and state laws that might grant me special privilege and take advantage of them? Absolutely! Call it ballsey, call it whatever you want, I call it being practical.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
the only time I park on a sort of side walk is at the grocery store , and thats just because I can invision some lazy dumb-a$$ pushing a shopping cart into my bike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
FOG said:
I'll explain for the non English understanding minority: You want to be treated just like any other Motor vehicle on the road, yet expect special privilege at the same time. Ballsey.
Too true. I'm not really comfortable not parking in normal spaces - and I do for the most part. Yet I've gotten called out for taking up a full space. Some people just are never happy. If the lot's full, and there is an unusually shaped (but large enough) space that's not in the direct flow of people cutting corners - then I'll park there.

I'd never park on the sidewalk, though - dems for walkin.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
ydant said:
Yet I've gotten called out for taking up a full space. Some people just are never happy.
Lol, what'd they expect you to do? Drive a bigger vehicle?

On one hand I'd considered parking to one side of the spot in case another bike wants to share the spot, but knowing how cagers are (okay, just the really stupid ones) I figure I'd come back to a car half in my spot or a dent in the bike from some a-hole's swinging door.

·
Registered
234 Posts
In California, you can park on the sidewalk as long as you don't BLOCK the pedestrian passing way (Actually I know a guy who parked on the sidewalk and got a ticket.) He didn't pay it as he wanted to dispute it. When the court day came, the judge ruled on his favor. If you get a ticket parking on the side walk, get a picture---it helps your case in a court of law.

But why go through all this drama, when you can squeeze and park your bike between two cars or on a disabled person parking spot. LOL.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts