Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying everything I need to rebuild the forks and my question is how much needs to be replaced? Obviously I'm going to do the fork seals (OEM Part #92093) and the oil seals (#92049). I'm concerned with the rest of the internals. Should any of the bushings or snap rings be replaced? There's a lot of parts in there and I figure I might as well do it all while the forks are apart, similar to doing the water pump on a car when doing the timing belt.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
really, the springs unless damaged can be left alone, the only thing I'd worry about changing, would really be the bushings and seals. there really isnt as much to a set of forks as you think, its just two tubes, a metal piece, and a couple springs. not a lot to it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Look at the cutting front springs thread, aireq. Short answer is: changing springs/oil doesn't touch a single seal. Just remove the top cap / c-clip...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd rather just spend $70 on new springs. Plus they are already on the way. I live in an apartment with out a good place to work on stuff like this so trying to cut a spring like that can end up costing me way more then $70 in my trouble and time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I didn't mention the thread so you could learn how to cut them. There are pictures that show the entire process for replacing the springs. Did you look in the thread?

The process is exactly the same if you're cutting the springs or using ordered springs...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
apt. workshop

I have fixed up bikes in apartments, but that was BEFORE I was married :)

Cutting the stock springs, like FOG has detailed in his technical, is a great idea.
I am probably going to get Racetech springs though, sometime, just out of force of habit. I have been happy with them on other bikes and I think that this bike would be a good candidate for them too.

If you want to save money, just cut the springs, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts