Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has ever come up with a backrest for the EX500. I have been considering taking my daughter on my bike and wanted her to have something behind her to make her feel more secure, though she will be holding on to me too. I had given it a bunch of thought and ended up making something that fits into the rear grab handle and clips on. I will post pics tonight when I get home but I was wondering if anyone else had tried something like this?

I am also working on a fender eliminator and turn signal bracket. So far I have about $35 invested in a chunk of aluminum, some deck brackets, pop rivets and some sick looking Lockhart Philips Irridium turn signals. I have been looking and looking for those small bullet connectors that come on the bike and I think I found something that will work. I am really reluctant to cut the stock wires or permanently modify the bike.

-Xape

·
Registered
577 Posts
xape said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has ever come up with a backrest for the EX500. I have been considering taking my daughter on my bike and wanted her to have something behind her to make her feel more secure, though she will be holding on to me too. I had given it a bunch of thought and ended up making something that fits into the rear grab handle and clips on. I will post pics tonight when I get home but I was wondering if anyone else had tried something like this?
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/ninja5002.shtml

Under NOTES: This saddle accepts Corbin's removable passenger rest for added comfort and security.

I don't know if the backrest can be ordered separately.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I thought about getting something like that but haven't started that project yet ;)

I'm eager to see these pictures.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I suppose you could make one pretty cheap, maybe start with a headrest from a car, shave the foam down a bit, recover it in matching vinyl to the seat and make a braket to bolt to the rear passenger grab rail mounts.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I like the idea of the passenger headrest very much ;D

Thanks for the inspiration :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
HooliganD said:
I suppose you could make one pretty cheap, maybe start with a headrest from a car, shave the foam down a bit, recover it in matching vinyl to the seat and make a braket to bolt to the rear passenger grab rail mounts.
Now that's creative. Great idea!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'm already using the grab rail as a base for a rear rack, so far, it's holding good, I guess it could whitstand the backrest usage pretty well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

Here are the pics. Let me know what you think... total investment of about $4.

Excuse the messy garage lol.

-Xape

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Are the pins strong enough to keep it wedge in place ?

What did you use as the 'frame' of the backrest ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pins are ok so far as they are just there to prevent it from vibrating forward when there is no passenger and falling off.

The steps I followed were:

1: remove grab rail(pop off seat, remove two bolts)
2: trace a template on cardboard of the inside of the handle
3: trace the template onto an old 2"x2" I had lying around the garage
4: Cut out with a jigsaw
5: Sand, shave, carve and whittle the wood until it fits reasonably well in handle
6: Cut a piece of 1/2" plywood about the width of the seat and about 6 inches high
7: screw the plywood to the handle insert
8: cut a peice of foam to fit the seat back
9: cover it in vynyl that I bought at walmart in the remnant bin
10: Add nifty Canadian Flag
11: screw in eyebolt and use cotter pins to hold in place

I think I could have done better with the retention system but it seems to work so far.

-Xape

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good Job! Thanks for the ideas. My wife wants to ride with me; I think I'll try that first so she'll feel more comfy (maybe fine tune it a little). I like $4 accessories!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you have a Givi top case to go with that rack? Isn't a backrest available for that?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ There is, but it's like 65$ just for the cushion that mounts on the case..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually made the backrest before I got the back rack. I don't have a case for it yet so I just use my Joe Rocket soft tail bag mounted to the rack with bungee cords. I can mount both together or remove the backrest and move the bag forward and it acts like a backrest too.

-Xape

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I ever get some free time, I will attempt to make something and attempt to make a template of some sorts. No I will not make stuff for other people as I don't have enough time for my family and I as it is, and I'm too meticulous when it comes to doing work for other people, so it takes twice as long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts