Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get a shock made from Penske.

Got quoted 1150$ for thier double adjust build.

I see a couple posts about prices around 800 or so. Maybe it's another currensy.

But they also have a SV650 shock on thier website, for 800, which is funny considering our shock is commonly replaced by this shock, I would suppose the build would be focused around this type model. Maybe I am mistaken. I also have read back some years that one member even got a shock with the bottom mount with an incorrect mounting hole size being too small. About 2mm or so.

Does anyone with a Penske shock have any word in this on the price they paid for brand new retail and how the shock is built? Resemblance to an SV shock?

They are "made on order" so they apparently have nothing on hand to compare.

Any input would be welcome.
Please tell me if I am incorrect for thinking a SV650 custom built for an EX500 at 400$ less difference is reasonable or if that's a wild thing. 1150 isnt out if the question but it surely eases my pocket a bit, it is a big price jump.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
That's probably a legit price. Inflation is out of control.

Reactions: WestChannel27

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,820 Posts
Are you setting up a race bike? Sweet

Reactions: WestChannel27

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
I paid 800 back in 95 so you quote is about right . When I fitted mine I picked up 2 seconds per lap moving me from middle pack runner to a contender.
Thats when I became Fast Old Guy FOG.
+ I got every cent back when I sold the bike
FOG

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's probably a legit price. Inflation is out of control.
Thanks for that. I'd like to say I'm not bashing on the price persay, I am more concerned on the application. Most people say close to one inch raise to rear after install if you let them know it's for "racing", itll have me to remove the FOGbones I have installed I believe.

Are you setting up a race bike? Sweet
"An aggressive canyon missile" is my preferred title for this build. Haha. I blew the rear shock out finally. Some highways (405 / 118) I find my shock more similar to a pogostick than actual suspension. Booty bouncing like those girls in those rap videos. Forks aren't blown out yet, but those will be coupled with the upgrade as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I paid 800 back in 95 so you quote is about right . When I fitted mine I picked up 2 seconds per lap moving me from middle pack runner to a contender.
Thats when I became Fast Old Guy FOG.
+ I got every cent back when I sold the bike
FOG
Thanks, FOG.
I'm sure the price is related to inflation and the times. Though I would imagine the SV650 would be an applicant for a model build for the EX500 build, I just want be sure I got proper equipment when it's time to install. I appreciate the input. Surely will make me more planted in the twisties once installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For someone who's low on budget; I went with first gen Suzuki SV650 shock; it's the one with the white spring. Happy with the results. cost about $45 usd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Change of plans. Ordered a 2013 Ex300 shock for the rear to hold me over.
Claimed to be direct bolt in.
Saved the extra cash to do the front.
.90kg racetech springs for the front forks, all balls bushing and dust seals.
All in transit atm.

If the 300 shock works well, I may attempt to do an upgrade of using a cheaper Ohlins 300 shock instead of penske , but have not made up my mind on that one yet.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If you are swapping used shocks the SV650 or Ninja 300 will do. But, a Penske, or any top level shock is built for your bike, your weight and your riding. A Penske SV650 shock is made for SV650s and will not be optimum on any other bike. In the realm of custom shocks, go with the one engineered specifically for your bike.

Used shocks are pretty much whatever fits or can be made to fit - with compromises you have to accept. Not so with a new, custom shock.

Reactions: FlipFlop
1 - 9 of 9 Posts