Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fast Old Guy
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well ignore the above ,I got tangled up in the vagarieties of this site and can't fix it
The real topic is, I had been searching for a car to take the daily driver chores off my two precious Mercedes.bot with 170K miles. Needed a coney car but that wasn't toe most important thing ,reliability and quality was.
Noticed the Smart car. Found out they are made by Mercedes,so I went shopping.
First I wanted a gasoline one. but all of those I could find had too many miles 100K+
After meeting a owner of a E model here in my town I shifted my search for one.
I bought a 2015 Electric drive 451 in and had it shipped to AR. Couldn't have made a better choice, the quality in MB top notch and the performance is remarkable. All this before the gas crap foisted on us by joe blow.OK the range (50miles) seems small but where i live i can make three trips to town and still have 40% left
I charge it from 120 volt normal plug in my garage for 15 cents a KWH 40 miles /w ac on takes 8 kWh or $1.20.
I was spending near$200/mo on gas before the crazy increase today prolly closer to $300/mo.
Trust me I don't think that cars are the way to go . this one just happens to be tailored for my circumstances/
Hand to pay $30.60 for diesel to jus mow my lawn

FOG

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
258 Posts
I own 2 one is a Plug in hybrid and the other is a full on all battery one, love them both and love even more lack of buying fuel just to go to work where it was costing me half my paycheck to fuel it.

I have heard good things about the lille car you have. Enjoy it just know in the winter, you will have half the range. Pre heat/cool the car before your trip with it plugged in. If you do not have it yet, at least buy a level 2 charger that you can plug into a dryer or welder outlet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just returned from Germany after a 3 week vacation, saw alot of those Smart Cars, a car nut at my job told me they were made by MB so I knew. Had a diesel Audi there that I took on the Nurmbering as I always do. This time family came with me to the beautiful Eiffel region and we stayed at a farm with goats, bunnies and a ponies. Gas was close to 8 bux/gallon but car got amazing gas mileage, fast sport wagon 140 mph with family in it and 600 miles on a tank possibly. All season tyres hold you back on the "Ring" but the Quattro system is the cats ass, every Quattro I ever rented was amazing. I know your a MB fan, but I always go for the "auto-union" badge when over seas. Peace out, get a Honda Monkey if you really want good gas mileage LOL.

·
Fast Old Guy
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ridevfr.
talks about Audis. I have had 3 all around the 80s a Quatro for the wife and 2 5000 turbos for me. the 500 was anmazing as you say it could do 130 or more get 30 MPG and on one trip from CT to Mississippi I did almost 900 miles on a tank.. just never like front wheel drive
FOG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts