Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help community, I had to redo my pump as it was leaking and relaxed the mechanical seal. Took it out yesterday for about a hour and checked it out afterwards. No leaks. Took it out again today for about 30 min or more and afterwards checked it out. I saw a little coolant on reservoir tank, a splatter on the forks and a little on the bolt close to the pump. I’m really at my wits end. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
your over reacting.OK you re surfaced the carbon face of the pump, but you must give it a chance to match the impeller face . like bedding in brake pads. unless the impeller drive screw is bent and the impeller is wobbling (check)
the expansion tank is a auto regulating thing after filling it has to eject any coolant over what the system can hold when hot (fully expanded)
You didn't mention overheating/
Give the pump a few more miles to wear in you may be OK
Your other recourse is to replace the impeller seal and shaft

FOG

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your over reacting.OK you re surfaced the carbon face of the pump, but you must give it a chance to match the impeller face . like bedding in brake pads. unless the impeller drive screw is bent and the impeller is wobbling (check)
the expansion tank is a auto regulating thing after filling it has to eject any coolant over what the system can hold when hot (fully expanded)
You didn't mention overheating/
Give the pump a few more miles to wear in you may be OK
Your other recourse is to replace the impeller seal and shaft

FOG
So would this process be the same if I replaced the mechanical seal? It’s brand new. And as far as I can tell it wasn’t overheating. The line was in the cool for the duration of both rides. I will definitely take your advice and see if she work herself out. Maybe I am overreacting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would this process be the same if I replaced the mechanical seal? It’s brand new. And as far as I can tell it wasn’t overheating. The line was in the cool for the duration of both rides. I will definitely take your advice and see if she work herself out. Maybe I am overreacting.
I guess after I replaced the seal I thought it wouldn’t do that again.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
sometimes it's hard to see the forest because all the trees are in the way, without realising the trees are part of the forest.

what that means is either you had a issue and fixed it but don't believe you did fix it so are convinced it's still got issues OR you still have an issue that is un diagnosed and not yet fixed which re-enforces your belief that an issues exists.

you may have to first as Fog said leave it alone and see if it cures itself over time. if it does you know you fixed the problem. if it doesn't then you may have to revisit what caused you to delve into the water pump in first place. and look for other problems you missed first time round.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sometimes it's hard to see the forest because all the trees are in the way, without realising the trees are part of the forest.

what that means is either you had a issue and fixed it but don't believe you did fix it so are convinced it's still got issues OR you still have an issue that is un diagnosed and not yet fixed which re-enforces your belief that an issues exists.

you may have to first as Fog said leave it alone and see if it cures itself over time. if it does you know you fixed the problem. if it doesn't then you may have to revisit what caused you to delve into the water pump in first place. and look for other problems you missed first time round.
Thanks for the insight, I will take your advice as well. However I do have one question. I saw a lot of talk about not covering the weep hole when applying sealant. I had an idea of where it was at but didn’t know for sure. Could you let me know if what I thought was right? Would this be right? See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
not sure it's hard to see with all that gunk on the mating surface, I believe the weep hole is somewhere in the middle case that separates the coolant on one side and oil on the other side.

looking at that case is the very reason I disagree with fog about gaskets if Kawasaki put one on it should have one on.
and nothing else, ok so a thin (2mm bead in middle of the sealing surface) may seal the case. but who knows to do this,
when you say just use sealant it more or less just gets slapped on 1/2in thick yes it seals the case but when it oozes out where do you think it goes yep in all the places it's not supposed to go.

I have never used sealant if a gasket is supposed to be used in places like the water pump, it not saving money in the long run with all that goo floating around everywhere. all my pump repairs get gaskets nothing else new seals and no issues. hell there not expensive you can even buy gasket paper for a few cents and make your own.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure it's hard to see with all that gunk on the mating surface, I believe the weep hole is somewhere in the middle case that separates the coolant on one side and oil on the other side.

looking at that case is the very reason I disagree with fog about gaskets if Kawasaki put one on it should have one on.
and nothing else, ok so a thin (2mm bead in middle of the sealing surface) may seal the case. but who knows to do this,
when you say just use sealant it more or less just gets slapped on 1/2in thick yes it seals the case but when it oozes out where do you think it goes yep in all the places it's not supposed to go.

I have never used sealant if a gasket is supposed to be used in places like the water pump, it not saving money in the long run with all that goo floating around everywhere. all my pump repairs get gaskets nothing else new seals and no issues. hell there not expensive you can even buy gasket paper for a few cents and make your own.
Ok, so your saying I can just use the gaskets and no sealant. I didn’t know that. I thought you had to use sealant along with the gaskets. Should I do it over? My gaskets are new. Or do you think I should ride it out. My concern was that weep hole and if I just uses gaskets then I wouldn’t have to worry about that right?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
first part, yes.
second part, if you have fixed it why do over it may be fine, run it for a bit and see, if it's not fixed then yeah do over checking all the stuff you didn't check last time
third part, correct.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
ok. just to add, the last time I did a water pump (about 2 years ago) due to a small weep from one of the transfer pipe O rings,(needing the removal of the pump). I bought all the stuff beforehand seals o rings gaskets, (I usually make my own from gasket paper) stripped it cleaned everything and reassembled with new paper gaskets, filled the coolant ran the engine through two heat cycles let it cool topped up the expansion bottle checked for leaks (none found) that's it.
running two years since no issues. coolant is even still clean.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok. just to add, the last time I did a water pump (about 2 years ago) due to a small weep from one of the transfer pipe O rings,(needing the removal of the pump). I bought all the stuff beforehand seals o rings gaskets, (I usually make my own from gasket paper) stripped it cleaned everything and reassembled with new paper gaskets, filled the coolant ran the engine through two heat cycles let it cool topped up the expansion bottle checked for leaks (none found) that's it.
running two years since no issues. coolant is even still clean.
That’s crazy cuz I feel like that’s what I did. 🤔

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
Yes tha is part of the weep passage. Look at all the pieces trace the passage from the space between the water & the oil seal to ground.
‘this passage is needed to drain any water or oil away to ground,instead of posabilly contanimating the other .
as you must realize by now the water seal is anything but positive, and som seepage is built in.

Fog

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes tha is part of the weep passage. Look at all the pieces trace the passage from the space between the water & the oil seal to ground.
‘this passage is needed to drain any water or oil away to ground,instead of posabilly contanimating the other .
as you must realize by now the water seal is anything but positive, and som seepage is built in.

Fog
Didn’t know but now I do. This is why I ask. I want to know. And if I don’t understand I will ask. Thanks for the clarification.👍🏾

·
Administrator
7,040 Posts
When using sealant, you need to use a thin layer. By thin I mean basically as thin as possible.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, here is the update. I’ve been riding as we discussed and the leak has scaled back a lot, however there is a very small leak that still exists. It’s so small that I don’t think it’s builds up enough to actually drop a bead. I was wondering if this would cease if I tightened the impeller a tad bit. I don’t own a torque wrench so I’m unsure if it’s at spec.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I doubt if tightening would help much if at all, and the threads on that shaft not the strongest on the bike. I would leave it a while longer to see if it stops completely why disassemble it all again to do something that might not improve anything.
if it doesn't stop completely after wearing in the seal, you may have other issues not yet addressed (you did give the water pump quite a whack) but for now it seems to be working.
just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I doubt if tightening would help much if at all, and the threads on that shaft not the strongest on the bike. I would leave it a while longer to see if it stops completely why disassemble it all again to do something that might not improve anything.
if it doesn't stop completely after wearing in the seal, you may have other issues not yet addressed (you did give the water pump quite a whack) but for now it seems to be working.
just my opinion of course.
Okay, just was wondering. A side note, she hasn’t been running hot or anything. Rode it around in stop and go traffic along with highway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts