Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm cleaning up a '99 that a buddy nabbed cheap a few days ago

I'm about to reline the tank..As this thing was sitting for 20 years in a garage. The guy literally didn't ride it for 20 years it has 2.3k miles from the first maybe year or two. It's not too bad, but I'm trying to really clean it up nice. The good: Was a nice garage, so the bike itself..not bad..just dusty. Actually started it within about 3 hours of flushing and prepping and verifying the engine would turn over by hand.

But the tank...20 year old gas. This stuff almost burned my eyes, it was like straight varnish. Literally ate the inside of the petcock piece.

So as stated the petcock is bad...But only the innards. See Pic, this is after some light cleaning but this plastic just fell apart.

If I didn't care about reserve/primary, the two things I Have circled..can I just cut those off?
Or just clean them up and see how it goes?

From what I can surmise Those are just adjusting the level they'll pull from. Short one for res tall one for normal. I think they also act as a slight pre-filter to the carb.. if i recall correctly... I think the most damage has been done to the missing thin mesh like material at the tips of each, but on that note, I'll be using an inline filter right before the carb anyway so I think i'd be ok?

In addition...The lever is seized but I think i'll be able to unstick it on a breakdown and I'll need to see if the vacuum actuation is working.

Finally, getting any bike parts right now has been a pita. So trying to salvage anythingI can. Supplies are low everywhere so I'm not sure when I'd be able to get a hold of one and all the aftermarket options are awful; Already have a post in wanted.

Thanks for any input on this one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Correct, those were pre-carb filters before the mesh melted out of them. I'm going through the same process right now. The dealer wanted $110 for a new OEM petcock so I ordered a $30 kit that was due in a week ago - still waiting. I don't know if the kit comes with the filters. If not I'll run an inline filter, or that internal filter at the carb Ducatiman has a sticky for. The lever is very likely not moving because it's all gunked up inside and will need everything replaced.

Sounds like a bike with high potential.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
hi. couple of comments and a suggestion. your right about the the level of the tubes. I would keep them as is, if you have ever had to go on res miles away from a gas station. you will understand why ?. these nice lightweight bikes get very heavy after a 2 miles push LOL.
also if you know anybody with a ultrasonic cleaner it would clean up that petcock like new (suitably stripped of course)
then if required a overhaul kit will have it as new as it came from the factory.

now the suggestion. your only real issue is the strainers they do not come with a petcock kit. so either make some from fine mesh or buy one of those very cheap E-bay specials remove the tubes (with strainers) and dump the rest then fit them to the re done OEM petcock you have. I personally would not use a inline filter there too problematic but would just stick one of the rail filters in mentioned above.

Edit. just looked on E-bay those cheap ones with two strainers less then 5 bucks for the whole petcock got to be worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm, yeah this sucks. Hate needing to wait for parts in a year when everything isn't back upped by 3 weeks. I've never done the rail filter, but I do run an inline on my other ex500 and have yet to run into any issues. It's in an easily accessible spot and clear so I can see if it's doing anything during troubleshooting if needs be.

Gonna try and scrub it up gently and gauge where it's at. Won't cut them short..as I have had to push an ex500 before..So probably shouldn't sign up for a guarantee on that happening again lol.

However, I'm not sure how i'd even get some mesh to stick to it if I could fabricate something. Hmmmmmm. I'll let you guys know if I figure anything out.

Thanks for all the input so far

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like yorkie's idea of buying a cheap (some as cheap as $7) petcock on ebay and using the filters from that, but I don't know how well they'd fit.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I like yorkie's idea of buying a cheap (some as cheap as $7) petcock on ebay and using the filters from that, but I don't know how well they'd fit.
err well the ones I used did. I use a (cough) rather extravagant Pingel after market one (non vacuum) it came without any strainers so used the OEM ones on it, fit perfect. so there is no reason to suppose they won't work the other way round besides a dab of two pack epoxy would make them fit just in case.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welp, update is stripped and clean, was quite a mess. Looking for a rebuild kit atm, though part of me wonders if I should just buy a new one at this rate haha.

Tested after the clean and the diaphragm moves but stays open on a vacuum. I have to blow to to make it close back up. Weighing between OEM new and rebuild kit at the moment.

I also like that idea, not sure if I want to wait the 3 weeks for an aftermarket one to tear apart though. decisions, decisions...

UPDATE: Bit the bullet, ordered an OEM one for this. Want it to work, as I don't feel like coming out to flooded carbs on a frankenstein creation..Might still rebuild old one at some point to see if it works with just swappin out some pieces.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
your bike your choice. if your not sure it's probably the best decision. personally I prefer a manual one. why because like most Humans I'm a bit lazy. if something is automatic or saves me having to bother it is usually left to get on with it, :).
then if it doesn't work I have added issues to contend with.
with a manual petcock I have no choice but to turn it off everytime I leave the bike parked if I don't want to risk filling the crankcase with fuel. (it only needs to do this once) so now becomes second nature.
I would recommend you get into the same habit even with a new OEM petcock fitted. just in case.

·
Super Moderator
6,622 Posts
I have an OEM petcock. Vacuum activated or not I always turn it off when not in use. Even if it's just for a few minutes to go in to the piggly wiggly. There is a reason it has an off position.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Bravo. not everyone is so diligent though, we are creatures of habit in the main. if you do you do, if you don't well you know. how many threads have been started with "I left my bike parked overnight and now I have" either a pool of fuel under the bike or a crankcase full of fuel. too many.

it is what you get used to. the last job I had before retiring was so close I walked to and from work everyday. one particular house I used to pass had a big dog that would try to attack me through the fence as I passed.

I got into the habit of crossing the road to go passed that house. I still continued to cross the road weeks/months after the dog was no longer there because I had got used to doing it. it had become second nature to do so.

if you don't get used to turning off the petcock everytime you park it one day it will let you down.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
Long ago, prior to "vacuum actuated" petcocks, obviously they were constant gravity fed. Turning off when parking was MANDATORY, which I still do today. Along with visually checking the sidestand is up when taking off EVERY TIME. Old habits die hard.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're all giving me the heebie jeebies now about it. Guess I'll start flipping it to off. I've never had a problem in the 10 years I've ridden vacuum actuated ones, but I think you all just jinxed it. Hell, I probably better run out and check all my bikes now lol.

However...I will say this happened to my buddy though on an old '86 250R a few years back. Humorously when I fixed it up for him, I'm pretty sure I told him to start turning his petcock off.

Anyway, shouldn't be a hard habit to add for myself, i'm already an always kill switch guy, so no big deal to add a good idea to the routine.

At the end of the day if I ever sell it, OEM is king in resale value in my experience, sometimes just pitching in OEM works too, but I don't think they'll want the one i just pulled out.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't think a OEM petcock will alter the sale price. but it may be worth thinking about keeping all the stock stuff if you change the bike to a streetfighter. the sale price is far higher on stock bikes. even going to offer the buyer all kit so they can return it to stock if they wish. even if they don't want it it can be sold later when you have disposed of the bike.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
To a serious buyer street fighters are worthless, they indicate careless use and worse poor or no maintainable . Not sure I’d accept one as a gift

Fog

·
Registered
593 Posts
To a serious buyer street fighters are worthless, they indicate careless use and worse poor or no maintainable . Not sure I’d accept one as a gift

Fog
Street Fighters are by nature a cheap repair on a crashed sport bike, where replacement plastic is prohibitively expensive. And most street fighters are poorly executed. These, as fog mentioned, are best avoided.

Now, a beautiful custom job with a gixxer motor in a Harris frame....different story.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep all my bikes stock. Only thing non-stock in plan for this one so far is fog-mod, k&N, fog-bones, and gear-ratio, maybe the clutch/brake levers if I can find a set I like since the clutch is bent on this one.

I do like light kits though...Just subtle, not crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts