Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to clean/rebuild my carbs. i got everything out and apart, but i cant get the pilot jets out of there. i used a small screwdriver and these things are IN THERE GOOD. i tried my damnedest to get one out to no avail. i think im starting to **** up the top of it... probably going to have to get new pilots... but how can i get the old ones out?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If they're really jammed in there, or worse cross threaded, I think you may be out of luck. I'd say just make sure you have a narrow enough screw driver to get enough of the blade into the screw. You might try Krown penetrating lubricant (not sure if you can get that where you are), or any other penetrating lube to try help you out. My jets have never been that tight. Good luck.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
There is the option of drilling a pilot hole and using a screw extractor , but you don't sound like the right guy to do it. There is the potential for destroying the carbs completely. I had to grind the body of a small (about 1/4"wide) screwdriver to fit the hole, in order to get a good grip on the jet slot. be sure you have the biggest driver that you can get in there and try tapping it lightly but firmly as you turn it. The shock might dislodge it. The jets are barass and don't react with the metal of the carb body. Your not tooled correctly.

You could send them to me (or another toolmaker)

FOG

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
I suggested to another fellow that had the same problem to drill out the hole in the carbs larger to make acess to the jet easier. I don't have a set of carb handy so I can't tell you how big you can safely go but a little might help. Of course don't drill the slot out of the jet.

FOG

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FOG said:
There is the option of drilling a pilot hole and using a screw extractor , but you don't sound like the right guy to do it.

care to elaborate on why im not "the right guy"? do you think i dont know how to operate a drill?

FOG, i appreciate your help, but your ad hominem contributes nothing.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
dragknee said:
FOG said:
There is the option of drilling a pilot hole and using a screw extractor , but you don't sound like the right guy to do it.

care to elaborate on why im not "the right guy"?

i appreciate your help, but your ad hominem contributes nothing.
Yes, the fact that you got yourself in this predicament in the first place ,and then seek help from the computer. Indicates to me that you have never used a screw extractor and the likely hood of your drilling into or through your carbs is great. The skills required are those of a experienced machinist. Are you one?

OK here is how to do it. Purchase a set of ezyout screw extractors. Select a drill from your set that closely fits the body hole above the jet. Drill a centering spot in the jet/s. now select a extractor of the appropriate size and a drill of the size of the extractor about 1/4" above the point. Drill this hole into the pre centered hole in the jet to a depth of 3/8" fit the extractor into that hole and turn it into the jet in a Counter clockwise direction with a T handle tap wrench. Tapping on the end of the wrench to help the extractor set. Possible warm the carb body with a torch or over a hot plate. Be very carefull to not wiggle the wrench side to side as that will ruin the engagement and worsen the problem.
I that doesn't work then you'll need to completely drill out the entire jet and re tap the threads in the carb.

FOG

FOG

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. ill try that.

ive used screw extractors many times. in addition, i used a screwdriver, like you described, that fit perfectly down into the hole, and the blade fit completely into the slot on the pilot. but this think is IN THERE. i think it had something to do with the P.O.

the screws on the bowls were in there VERY VERY tightly as well. i actually had to drill one out, because it would not budge.

my best guess is that the PO used something like an electric screwdriver to get the screws back in. same problem as when you use an air wrench to put a cap screw back in something... you cant really control the torque, and it jams it in there real good...

i was reluctant to use the blue wrench on it because of the reaction that occurs when gasoline fumes and flames are combined.

i also considered those options before posting on here, but figured id ask, just to see if anyone else had any problems or anything.

although, what you said about drilling out the entire jet and retap the threads, wouldnt i then need an oversized carb to fit into the new threads?

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
"what you said about drilling out the entire jet and retap the threads, wouldnt i then need an oversized carb to fit into the new threads?"

No the Idea is to just remove the minor diameter if the thread and then extract the old wire of the remaining thread , leaving the body intact. the jet has a ID of only about .012 if you open that to say .03 then by small increments drill out the entire body of the jet till you just remove the bottom of it where It's thread is pulling it against the face then there will be no load on the thread and it will spin out freely.

another trick is to use a left hand dril to remove the body, as you near the bottom the clamping force will lessen and the drill rotation will unscrew the jets thread.

Good luck.

FOG

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 3/8 drive impact driver that I think would do the trick - granted it would require fabrication of a screwdriver bit adapter - but less dicey in my opinion than drilling.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Knightslugger said:
i can see it now..

brrrrrrrrr wang a lang a chink SNAP!.......................................................... aw fudge.
I admit is is difficult to convey how to apply "The Midas touch" in this situation.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
dwengi said:
Knightslugger said:
i can see it now..

brrrrrrrrr wang a lang a chink SNAP!.......................................................... aw fudge.
I admit is is difficult to convey how to apply "The Midas touch" in this situation.
This is why I was reluctant to suggest drilling to Dragnee, It's dificult to forsee all the little ways things can go bad with power tools.
FOG

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
used the screw extractor. got it out. no problemo :)

new jets in.

silicon on the manometer drying now. hopefully tomorrow all should be muy bien.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
dragknee said:
used the screw extractor. got it out. no problemo :)

new jets in.

silicon on the manometer drying now. hopefully tomorrow all should be muy bien.
Bingo! I new you could do it.

FOG

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Hey I said I'm not sure he's the right guy. In a second post he assured me he had experience so I gave him detailed instructions. If I didn't think he could do it I wouldn't have wasted the time typing.

FOG

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so laughing at this thread. I have some clogged pilot jets on an 05 EX500. Picked it up on the cheap with low miles and a rusty a$$ gas tank. Got the tank cleaned up nicely, new battery, oil etc... etc.... but of course, as I figured, it only runs with the choke on. I think I got a good handle on getting the jets out now. I'll probably just get some new ones. ;)

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts