Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying Pilot Powers, but was wondering about something. How does that tread pattern work in the rain? I know they say that it will lean 41 degrees in the wet (which is insane; I keep it about 10 degrees or less ;)) but I am not used to not having water grooves for upright riding. What keeps it from hydoplaning? From a car standpoint that was always an issue, but I don't know about on a bike. Do rain tires for motorcycle racing have grooves?(Do they race motorcycles in the rain?). Could some of you that have Pilot Powers comment on the rain handling? Other comments?

·
Registered
722 Posts
2001ex500 said:
Do rain tires for motorcycle racing have grooves?(Do they race motorcycles in the rain?).
I watched a World Superbike Race the other day, they were in Britain and it was raining hard. I'm talking huge puddles on the track. They used a silica based racing slick. Its made with bits of sand in it and its was a soft compound to maintain grip at the cool wet temps. The problem is once all the rain goes away the tires wear out insanely fast, this is what I had seen on another show that covered trackdays in the rain.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
with rain tires, it's more about the angle of the lug than the groving. the tire has to cut the surface tension of the water so that it can meet the pavement. intermediates are what you usually see unless it's raining cats and dogs and those tires are less aggressive and look like more DOT Race tires instead of Slicks..

·
Registered
100 Posts
pilot powers in the rain.
they will stick. just be smooth

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, that helps. I guess that's something I will have to learn to trust, because it violates what I think I know of the world. I'll just ease into it a little at a time.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts