Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
FOG said:
I didn't say "floats" I said float valve. The rubber tipped pin that is operated by the float. Check to see if they are in perfect condition and when they are out flush the fuel line from both of them back to the tank. Do this over a piece of white paper to see what comes out. Then fit a inline filter before you re attach the line to the petcock. Finally use a separate source of fuel to supply the carbs to check for float leaks.
Set the carbs up in the angle they would be on when in the bike and let gravity fill them from the new tank and wait at least 10 min to see if they leak.

Learn to be through.

FOG
FOG,

I am going to test my carbs tonight to see if they leak, if they do does that mean I need to replace the float valve or do I just need to clean it and its chamber? Do the valves wear out?

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
77 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
I used to take the screwdriver with me on rides and whenever i stopped, i would make an adjustment. when i was a beginner it was difficult to find the best position by sitting there revving it in the driveway. i have a park about 3 miles away, i would go there and tune then ride back and tune a second time, by three road tests i had it zeroed in. Somewhere around 2- 2 1/4 turns feels pretty good with the stock setup. 2 1/2 is usually too rich for my likings.
This sounds like what I'm about to do (after the FOG mod), but like the OP, I don't know what I'm trying to "feel". How do you know when it needs adjusting??? What is the indicator as you are riding that you need to make an adjustment? Is it simple power response?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh, and funny story. Installed the new filter, drilled the holes, went to adjust the screws and guess what. Right carb screw was 100% turned in. Kinda blew my mind. I thought the bike ran fine. Left screw was 2.5 out, changed right screw to 1.25 out, gonna start there and take a screwdriver with me on every ride. Updates will come.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
CookieMaker said:
FloridaEX500 said:
I used to take the screwdriver with me on rides and whenever i stopped, i would make an adjustment. when i was a beginner it was difficult to find the best position by sitting there revving it in the driveway. i have a park about 3 miles away, i would go there and tune then ride back and tune a second time, by three road tests i had it zeroed in. Somewhere around 2- 2 1/4 turns feels pretty good with the stock setup. 2 1/2 is usually too rich for my likings.
This sounds like what I'm about to do (after the FOG mod), but like the OP, I don't know what I'm trying to "feel". How do you know when it needs adjusting??? What is the indicator as you are riding that you need to make an adjustment? Is it simple power response?
Remember the ex runs lean low and rich high. There is a fine line between too rich and too lean its around 2 turns out with stock exhaust and jetting. anything less than is too lean but if your goal is to save fuel then you may want to go lower than 2 turns. We all assume you want to go fast so go with 2- 2 1/4 turns, somewhere in there assuming your exhaust is stock. Then you should ride the bike different speeds and acceleration levels to test what you end up with, when you are happy with the performance then you're done. or fly fog over and he'll do it in your driveway in about 20 seconds.lol

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am at 1.25 on mine after starting at 2.5. For my bike 2.5 was very rich from 2-3k with light throttle and I ride in that range a lot. I have not clue if I try to ride fast how it will run since I MPG is important to me.

Mine ran rough on part throttle down low. As I turned it from 2.5 to 2.0 to 1.5 to 1.25 it kept getting smoother. I have been tempted to go to 1 turn but I also don't want to tempt fate.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Just out of curiosity, anybody know what the original stock setting was? 1.5 turns out?

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
It almost certain you have something else wrong in your carbs, like float level of leaking float valves. Unless of course you drilled open you pilot jets larger.

FOG

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
00ninja said:
Just out of curiosity, anybody know what the original stock setting was? 1.5 turns out?
From the factory Mine was like 3/4 turns out on one side and 1 3/4 turns out on the other, they certainly don't match, and its wacky at best, makes no sense except to detune it for epa reasons.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
00ninja said:
From the factory Mine was like 3/4 turns out on one side and 1 3/4 turns out on the other, they certainly don't match, and its wacky at best, makes no sense except to detune it for epa reasons.
Now that you mentioned it the jet closer to the "horn" was leaner then the other one on my bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Its important to do this mod to any mc or scooter. I knew about this long before I came here to this forum. Fog did not invent pilot screw tuning. Its not just an ex thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd like to tag on this post. I have a Muzzy pipe, stage 1 jet kit, and K&N exhaust. I have no bottom end under 4k. It sputters until I'm revving high enough. Once it launches, it rides great. Getting off the line is where I have the issue. I'm about 3 1/4 turns out and this is the best it has run. What else should I be looking at?

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
The jet kit is dumping fuel in. your plugs are probably black and wet. i used to have a muzzy. i thought it was awesome at high speeds, my recommendation is to go with all stock carb jetting and needles then tune the pilot screws to 2.25 turns out. That's what i had to do to resolve the fuel dumping issue, and when i did i got pretty darn good performance out of it. My problem was with the continued loud noise all the time with no way to turn it off got on my nerves after a couple of years so i went back to stock and im happy with that setup especially because now i can use a centerstand. But im not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to tell you what i did to get it to run well. Your problem isn't the pipe its the jet kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the input! I'm changing to progressive springs this weekend. I guess I'll re-jet the carbs too! I'll let you know how it works out. I've yet to post pics but I guess it's about time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
Remember the ex runs lean low and rich high. There is a fine line between too rich and too lean its around 2 turns out with stock exhaust and jetting. anything less than is too lean but if your goal is to save fuel then you may want to go lower than 2 turns. We all assume you want to go fast so go with 2- 2 1/4 turns, somewhere in there assuming your exhaust is stock. Then you should ride the bike different speeds and acceleration levels to test what you end up with, when you are happy with the performance then you're done. or fly fog over and he'll do it in your driveway in about 20 seconds.lol
+1 lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Re: Re: Re: Pilot screw adjustment

FOG said:
It almost certain you have something else wrong in your carbs, like float level of leaking float valves. Unless of course you drilled open you pilot jets larger.

FOG
OK so I finally did the float valve test with the carbs out shutting on a sheet of paper with a external fuel source and there was 0 leak. I let them sit for about 2 hours. Can you think of any other reason I would have such a strong smell of fuel coming out of the exhaust?

Could spark plug wires have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance

Josh

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to check the plug wires. I had a rather bad stalling problem at the beginning of the season caused by the wires. Check carefully inside the boot that goes over the plug. One of mine was cracked and the little metal ring was missing causing an intermittent spark problem.

Don't know if it's related to your problem but it's easy to check and rule out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

00ninja said:
It wouldn't hurt to check the plug wires. I had a rather bad stalling problem at the beginning of the season caused by the wires. Check carefully inside the boot that goes over the plug. One of mine was cracked and the little metal ring was missing causing an intermittent spark problem.

I think I am going to replace the spark plug cables. Is there a set from amazon I can buy or do I have to use eBay. The local shop in my town only sells them separate and I don't know how to assemble them.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts

jh_husker said:
00ninja said:

I think I am going to replace the spark plug cables. Is there a set from amazon I can buy or do I have to use eBay. The local shop in my town only sells them separate and I don't know how to assemble them.

There are sets on eBay but I'm not sure if Amazon has any (I've never used Amazon). The shop where I had my bike to diagnose the problem got a set of NGK wires. I'm not sure if they came assembled or not but they were only $20CDN.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Can you think of any other reason I would have such a strong smell of fuel coming out of the exhaust?

Josh

21 - 40 of 52 Posts