Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a cheap plastic bonding agent that does a decent job for a fair price (read cheap), that I can get at like walmart or advanced auto parts or a hardware store?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are you fixing your fairings or something? If so, ABS cement should do the trick (found in Home Depot and the like), just sand down the areas surroundng the cracks to bare plastic.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Your fairings are made from ABS plastic. you can get pvc/abs CEMENT AT WALMART. On the inside scrap off the paint and dribble a line of the cement over the crack. You can hold the parts together on the outside with tape. If you can get a piece of scrap fairing gluing it across the crack will reinforce it stronger than new.

FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
two part epoxy's that mix in the tube are great but you can only use the tube once as it hardens inside and its junk.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Smoky said:
two part epoxy's that mix in the tube are great but you can only use the tube once as it hardens inside and its junk.
General Note: any epoxy or polyester resins are not compatible with ABS and will not stick (for long) while they will harden and seem to work fine , eventually they will fail .

The ABS glue will meld with the parent material and adhere well. It take longer to harden but it will make a permanent bond. I have used it on the exterior surfaces as a filler too. here is where the biggest problem arises. It shrinks. Long after I had finished painting some parts the areas I had filled with it shank some so as to make the repairs visible. If you use it for structural repair and Bondo for filler you'll be fine.

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
FOG said:
Smoky said:
General Note: any epoxy or polyester resins are not compatible with ABS and will not stick (for long) while they will harden and seem to work fine , eventually they will fail .

The ABS glue will meld with the parent material and adhere well. It take longer to harden but it will make a permanent bond. I have used it on the exterior surfaces as a filler too. here is where the biggest problem arises. It shrinks. Long after I had finished painting some parts the areas I had filled with it shank some so as to make the repairs visible. If you use it for structural repair and Bondo for filler you'll be fine.

FOG
Agree. With building cigar-box dulcimers (stringed instruments) I found common epoxies had no flex. They work fine, maybe even great, on non-flexible joints... especially when temperature doesn't change much... but add the flex & the stuff cracks. The ABS fairings of course DO flex & get some pretty big changes in temps.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FOG said:
Your fairings are made from ABS plastic. you can get pvc/abs CEMENT AT WALMART. On the inside scrap off the paint and dribble a line of the cement over the crack. You can hold the parts together on the outside with tape. If you can get a piece of scrap fairing gluing it across the crack will reinforce it stronger than new.

FOG
is this the same cement used for pvc water pipes, right? I think I have a couple bottles of that somewhere, and the purple junk.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
jlmay said:
FOG said:

FOG
is this the same cement used for pvc water pipes, right? I think I have a couple bottles of that somewhere, and the purple junk.
Yes , be sure it say ABS too on the can. They used to market ABS stuff alone that worked much better but I haven't been able to find it for a long time. At least not in Home De Poo. Maybe an old fashion hardware store (if you can find one) will still have it. In our world where mass marketing is the rule, most all the little guys have succumbed to the big box retailers where English is the Second language.

FOG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
FOG said:
jlmay said:
FOG said:

FOG
Yes , be sure it say ABS too on the can. They used to market ABS stuff alone that worked much better but I haven't been able to find it for a long time. At least not in Home De Poo. Maybe an old fashion hardware store (if you can find one) will still have it. In our world where mass marketing is the rule, most all the little guys have succumbed to the big box retailers where English is the Second language.

FOG
They sell the 2 part ABS cement or glue at CarQuest .

·
Registered
261 Posts
FOG said:

FOG
I found a can at Lowes that was marked for ABS only, Oatey's (sp?) brand. When working with plastics I'm not confortable using a one-size-fits-all product.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
damarble said:
FOG said:

FOG
I found a can at Lowes that was marked for ABS only, Oatey's (sp?) brand. When working with plastics I'm not confortable using a one-size-fits-all product.
Yep that's the stuff. I may have to break a long standing objection to lowes. (see my rant in the off topic section "English as a Second Language")

FOG

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the crack was at a spot where it would flex due to weight so I did both sides just to be sure. It looks okay now still got About 1&1/2 hours left to cure. And the paint I chose wasn't exact but I wasn't really expecting a perfect match. Plus I never seem to get these things perfect anyhow.

Also, it was a good time to remove the rear fender since I had good access to it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics of the finished product:

the paint dried to a very close match. for anyone who wanted to know its Flame Red (GM 3867). Was well worth the time and the cheap price of $10.40.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts