Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93Kawasaki EX500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a 93 ex500 and I'm having difficulty getting it to start it cranks but will not fire up. Sometimes while it's cranking I hear a bit of a clanking noise and I can't get it fired out so I'm hoping some one who knows about these bike can point me in the right direction thank you for your time

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome Sean, but we're not lol, at least not yet.
Can you tell us a little more about your EX500? these bikes are usually very reliable, so let's see what we can do to get you sorted.

Pictures are helpful, but at least tell us some details and history, when you bought it, did it start easily and run good? How much mileage, when did it start acting up? etc.?

·
Registered
93Kawasaki EX500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it about a month ago have not messed with it at all. Supposedly the guy my buddy got it from said it's sat for about two years since he laid it down and it scared him and he could not get it to run again. It's a 93 Kawasaki ninja ex500. It's got about 23,700 miles on it. I tried starting it but could not get it to fire it cranks but won't start. While I'm trying to start it has a inconsistent tap sounds like it's come from the starter area

·
Registered
500 Posts
Several specific problems come to mind from your description so far:

Stale gas. Drain all gas from the tank and the carbs, fill with fresh gas; if that doesn't work, then
gas was left too long and clogged the carbs and carbs need to be removed and cleaned.

Noise on left side may be self destruct generator rotor, the magnets come loose and cause havoc;
or the bolts that hold the starter clutch get loose and the starter makes a lot of noise. Or both.

Adjust Valves, replace spark plugs and coolant, and engine oil & filter.

Check How To/FYI's for detailed explanations and how to fix.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The occasional clanking from the starter is part of the design. Pull the plugs, ground them and check for spark when you are cranking the engine. Got a compression tester? Good time to check compression while the plugs are out. If there is spark and good compression, it is then on to fuel. These have vacuum operated petcocks, so turning them on does nothing until engine vacuum is applied to the hose from the left cylinder intake manifold to the rear of the petcock. The engine must crank for some time to pull the vacuum diaphragm open and allow a trickle of gas into the carbs. After sitting for some time, they usually run on one cylinder until engine vacuum opens the petcock diaphragm enough to feed gas to both carbs.

Chances are you need to pull the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning, especially the tiny orifices in the pilot jets.

• Helpful
Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yeah as above fresh fuel first, spark/compression next then carbs as you will have to remove the tank anyway set up a remote fuel source until it's running. once running change oil and filter coolant and do the valve clearances.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,404 Posts
agreed, a valve clearance check/reset coupled with a full carb clean/refurb has never failed me. Compensating for prior EX owners obvious withholding of service procedures.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Honestly, unless the motor's broken, it's nearly always fuel related. Rebuilding the carbs is good, even if done only for drill. They are simple but precise devices, but must be clean to work. Again, if compression and spark, the carbs are the deal - and it's not the carbs themselves - it's the crappy fuel.

Reactions: budhole
1 - 9 of 9 Posts