Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out at the track doing a few quarter mile runs against my brothers car this morning and on the 3rd run i pulled up the front wheel going into second gear, it came up about a 18 inches or so and i rode it out from there till she set back down. When i got into 3rd gear (and all the way home in every gear after the wheelie) the bike wont go past 5k rpm. It lugs around when i get there and if i open the throttle any further than what it takes to get to 5krpm, the engine actually decelerates... someone help me, i'm sad and i cant ride my bike now till i figure out what to do to fix it :(

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
I'm going to take a crack at this one even though the discription is vauge. I have had several cases of this on race bikes that had hoses from the carb vent to a catch bottle. They got blocked by a liquid, and prevented the flow on fuel into the carb float bowl greater than what was used. Kind os a Atmospheric pressure lock. If your carbs have a tube from the central vent that goes down to the ground in front of the rear wheel, remove it. and try it again.
FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
what does it sound like when reved in neutral bring it up slow to 5k then a bit past then try it with the choke on listen for any differences ( im just curious).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it sorta fixed itself. I moved a few of the tank vent hoses around and squeezed on the one Fog mentioned. Then i switched the fuel input from normal to reserve to see if that helped (i had half a tank of gas but thought i'd give it a try) and after i did that all those things it worked just fine... switched it back to normal gas input after a spin around the block and it's been fine since... kinda weird seeing as i didn't remove anything... choke made no difference when it wasn't working, it would rev to 5k and hold there but if you were holding at 5k and then gave it gas, it would DECELERATE the engine speed to 2k... weird eh? oh yeah and it smelled of an insanely rich a/f ratio when i did that. i think i've got less power than i'm supposed to and running wrong, i get 160 miles to a tank, and a C5 vette pulled 6 cars on me in a quarter mile. I think i need to tune the bad boy up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what do you think my next step should be... most guys here got ~200 miles per tank, and run a 13 flat to 12.5 quarter mile...

·
Registered
199 Posts
bluesinged said:
Well what do you think my next step should be... most guys here got ~200 miles per tank, and run a 13 flat to 12.5 quarter mile...
Get a pipe, jet kit, change your plugs and wire and starting doing cocaine!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
FOG said:
I'm going to take a crack at this one even though the discription is vauge. I have had several cases of this on race bikes that had hoses from the carb vent to a catch bottle. They got blocked by a liquid, and prevented the flow on fuel into the carb float bowl greater than what was used. Kind os a Atmospheric pressure lock. If your carbs have a tube from the central vent that goes down to the ground in front of the rear wheel, remove it. and try it again.
FOG
The same thing happened to me one day when one of the carb breather lines was hitting the header pipe and melted itself shut. Took me awhile to figure out what the problem was. I just cut the end off and chose a different path to route the lines and haven't had the problem ever again. Good thinking FOG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts