Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would get a difference of opinion thread going.
Just on EX related subjects.

Got the idea of the title from SNL.

Just to kick it off I will say: Spetro4 is the best oil in the entire world. :surprise:

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by Devilsfan:
Man, you all are tough! When I said "twist the tank" do you really think I meant to wring it out like a sponge Twist...like "pivot"...so you wouldn't have to actually lift the entire tank off of the frame!!!! So technical you all are!!!
My point is, whenever doing work where the tank is in the way, just take it completely off.

Reactions: boog

·
Registered
696 Posts
Counterpoint. When you disconnect the fuel lines it is entirely possible to lose some fuel on you hands, fairings ect. Sometimes it is easier to just rotate the tank.
That being said, I would just take the tank off, but I like this game! :)

Reactions: bpe and boog

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
When my youngest son removed the lower fairing to change oil and filter, he left the darn thing off stating he liked the look better that way. A year later when I visited him, I discovered he misplaced it and has no idea where it is. My point is, when loaning your rig out to family (started with the wife ex-wife, then his two older brothers), don't expect it to return the same way it was loaned.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
When my youngest son removed the lower fairing to change oil and filter, he left the darn thing off stating he liked the look better than way. A year later when I visited him, I discovered he misplaced it and has no idea where it is. My point is, when loaning your rig out to family (started wife ex-wife, then his two older brother), don't expect it to return the same way it was loaned.
You mean you expect to your stuff back from your kids?. What a novel idea!

FOG

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is real easy to take the lines off if you take out the bolt and prop the rear of the tank on something. I use a small block of wood.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is real easy to take the lines off if you take out the bolt and prop the rear of the tank on something. I use a small block of wood.
Counterpoint:

But if you do that some of these "very technical forum members" will tell you it's not "thorough enough"!

>:) >:) >:)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by Devilsfan: My point is, whenever doing work where the tank is in the way, just take it completely off.
Counterpoint:

If you remove the entire tank you may find other areas that need maintenance, thus taking more riding time away from your day!

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Counterpoint:

But if you do that some of these "very technical forum members" will tell you it's not "thorough enough"!

Point:
It's never thorough enough.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Develsfan
Mother f#*!#&er!!!

I cannot stand when ya get a screw/nail in a motorcycle tire. Unlike a car tire, a punctured motorcycle tire is only good enough to get you to the dealership for a new tire. $$$$

I wish these people with unsecured trailers would clean their **** up.
This is a good point.
I tend to agree with you, it is what I have always heard. In the past I have replaced tires even newer than that one. Current tire has about 2000 miles on it.

But I know there are members who would just plug and go until normal tread wears out. Right now I'm deciding on whether or not I want to do that.

At minimum I will order new tire tomorrow, and ride the plug until I can get it install on Sunday. Or I may just ride it out and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I get that.
But your on my side with point.
The counterpoint side is the plug and ride it out side.
We'll see if any of them chimes in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm with the counter point. The plug isn't going to blow up and cause an accident. Check pressure daily. If it ain't leaking after a few days it ain't a problem.

I plug my not aloud to be plugged construction trailer tires all the time. It's a non-issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plug my not aloud to be plugged construction trailer tires all the time. It's a non-issue.
Is that one of those high pressure tires, 50 or 60 psi?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Counter point...

But then a plugged tire will be gnawing away at the back of your mind.
I will counter your counter point with a two-fold point; first, my plugs seem to last the life of the tire. Second, One has to be smart to have a mind to begin with, something I don't have to worry about.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Meh... I have been riding a plugged tire 4 months by now... Just check tire presure once or twice a week just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know I'm in the minority on this, possibly even stand alone on it. But I don't see what the problem is about some things EX getting repeated over and over. I understand that sometimes it can be mundane.

My point is:
The EX is a finite subject. If everything has not already been covered, at some point it will be. At that point is anyone suggesting we lock down the entire forum and call it a wrap?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I know I'm in the minority on this, possibly even stand alone on it. But I don't see what the problem is about some things EX getting repeated over and over. I understand that sometimes it can be mundane.

My point is:
The EX is a finite subject. If everything has not already been covered, at some point it will be. At that point is anyone suggesting we lock down the entire forum and call it a wrap?
Interesting. The EX500 is no longer being made; check. At some point, everything will have been written about it; possible. Counter point to locking the forum down: A new rider comes of age and buys an inexpensive EX500 from Craig's List but doesn't know why the fuel leaks when he turns the petcock but thinks it's no big deal and since there is no EX500 forum to ask questions of sage EX500 riders, he goes off and rides without a care in the world. In the mean time, his trouser leg is soaked with fuel. He takes his new ride to his buddy to show it off. His buddy flicks his lit butt towards the newby's foot no knowing of the fuel leak, catching both the rider and the bike on fire. The rider freaks out, pops the clutch and the bike rockets into the buddy's hedge row catching it ablaze. Newby falls to the ground to roll around catching the dried grass on fire. Before you know it, the house is fully engulfed, three people die in the fire along with a liter of new born puppies: all because the forum was locked down!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts